bat actions

i see that bat actions are used by many people in shooting any more.what is becoming of the rifles that they are not using any more?
I understand that the reason for this is the way they are made and there avalibility to people.
gary b

Not sure what you're asking here. BAT actions are used quite a bit in short range benchrest (among other forms of competitive shooting). They're high quality, but so are Pandas, Stillers, Bordens, and Marsh Industries to name a few.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

i see that bat actions are used by many people in shooting any more.what is becoming of the rifles that they are not using any more?
I understand that the reason for this is the way they are made and there avalibility to people.
gary b

I think you are asking what Benchrest Shooters do with older Rifles when they decide to build a new one, particularilly using a Bat Action as the base.

Many shooters sell them, many just hang on to older Rifles. I know shooters who have gun safes full of Benchrest Rifles that they might never shoot again.

Bat certainly has a wide selection of Actions, covering the needs of many shooting disciplines. I just built a long range Benchrest Rifle based on a Bat Model M. The reason I chose was it suites the needs perfectly, and Bruno Shooters Supply had one like I wanted in stock. I ordered it, and 3 days later, It was in my hands.

As was said, there are numerous top quality action manufacturers. It comes down to shooter preference, or even availability.

For what it is worth, I have owned numerous Benchrest Rifles, but have sold every one except my two older Farleys, (1996-1997) vintage. Why?. Because they are still two of the best shooting actions I have owned. Both have had literally thousands and thousands of rounds put through them.

Rifle Action Manufacturers are just like any other business selling retail. They Have to bring out "new and improved" products. Of course, the first order of business is often convincing shooters that what they currently are using just will not cut it anymore.

Kelbly tends to buck this trend. True, the Panda has seen improvements over the year, mainly in cartridge feeding and ejection methods. But the basic action has changed little through the decades, mainly because it was, and is, such a fine design from the start.

Last edited:
Jackie said the same thing but I'll say it differently...and try my best to stay on the subject

Here's the deal...one of them at least. Trade or sell your competition rifle until you get one that is capable of winning. Trade or sell that one only if you know for SURE you're getting an even better rifle. Folks hold on to a rifle that will not win for many reasons but if you think of the rifle as a tool, and a tool only, you'll get rid of a poor rifle and search for a better one. "Better", in this context, has nothing to do with the looks and works of the rifle - only how it places in the grand scheme of winning and losing.

There are rifles built from the best parts available that will not win - ever. Nobody knows why that is. There is a belief out there that the reason for winning and losing is within the skill of the competitor. That would certainly be true if all rifles were equal but in the case of 100/200 yard group shooting it is not true...all rifles are not equal. A competitor with a better rifle will beat you every time.

Yes, the top 5 competitors may have equal rifles but I'm talking 10th place or worse vs 1st place. That's a good enough gap to start with....

I agree with Wilbur. A rifle is a system, and that system must work together perfectly for a short range BR rifle to be a winner. The best components don't always mean a thing!!!! trial and error has been my experience. Lee

A competitor with a better rifle will beat you every time.

Wilbur, unless you're putting some esoteric meaning on the word "competitor," I may need to take exception to what you said. I'm convinced I could take TB's rifle and finish on page two.

Wilbur, unless you're putting some esoteric meaning on the word "competitor," I may need to take exception to what you said. I'm convinced I could take TB's rifle and finish on page two.

Well...you could I suppose but it would have to be on purpose. Once upon a time at the "Long Creek" range near Charlotte, I sat between Tony and Faye and just wore them out. Near the end of the match I passed their motorhome and they had a sign on a table with a whole bunch of barrels. The sign read...Barrels / $50. They weren't there to compete but rather to test barrels. Take what you can from that true story...the entire game is in there somewhere....

Back