bat actions

I saw that 90 % of the top shooters used this make.what does it offer over the other custom actions?
how does it compare to them in its construction?
gary b

It wins. On paper is where it counts and match reports cant be skewed. The thing with bats is a higher percentage of em are jam up good than the other mfr. you can get a good one with any brand but its a gamble- odds on a bat being good are much higher

They win, that's for sure. But I think there may be a fad type thing going on too. At one time, Panda was the king of the roost. The Farley made a big wave for a while. Stiller came out with his, did good, and now you can't hardly get one, let alone hear or see one. Out west, Marsh seems to be gaining ground.

A lot of benchrest is follow along. Actions, barrels, scopes, etc.

Why is the top ten made up of 90% of anything...Mostly, because that's what 90% of the top ten were shooting. To believe otherwise, is to believe that a Panda, Borden or whatever, has a 1 in 10 chance of being in the top ten.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I thinks a good shooter could shoot any good action, it made be a fad, I do not know. But as Dusty alluded to I have not had one malfunction in 2-1/2 years of shooting with Bat.
Bill

I thinks a good shooter could shoot any good action, it made be a fad, I do not know. But as Dusty alluded to I have not had one malfunction in 2-1/2 years of shooting with Bat.
Bill

BATs are good....no question. Although, I do have another personal favorite, over them. We're splitting frog hairs between top makers, though.

BAT offers a lot of options pertaining to there actions. Short, long, round, multiflat, big diameters and smaller diameters. three lug or two lug. Lots of options. No other action maker does this that I know of. I do like my BAT actions, but don't think for a second that all BAT actions are created equal. Some flat ass shoot, and some do not. My experience and ive owned at least 20 of them over the years.
I would really like to come across one of there older actions with the screw in bolt shroud. The few that I have had in my hands were extremely impressive. Ill continue to buy BAT actions that's for sure.

BAT offers a lot of options pertaining to there actions. Short, long, round, multiflat, big diameters and smaller diameters. three lug or two lug. Lots of options. No other action maker does this that I know of. I do like my BAT actions, but don't think for a second that all BAT actions are created equal. Some flat ass shoot, and some do not. My experience and ive owned at least 20 of them over the years.
I would really like to come across one of there older actions with the screw in bolt shroud. The few that I have had in my hands were extremely impressive. Ill continue to buy BAT actions that's for sure.

:rolleyes:

Hey skeet- my favorite bat is a first model with screw in shroud. Not for sale at any price. Makes me a better shooter for sure!!

Hey skeet- my favorite bat is a first model with screw in shroud. Not for sale at any price. Makes me a better shooter for sure!!

Dusty, back when Bat stopped making their screw in shroud/firing pin assy, and brought out their new firing pin/shroud assy, a cottage industry cropped up among a few top Gunsmiths "fixing" them. Most of it involved modifying the shroud block so it would not drag, and increasing the weight of the firing pin and increasing it's velocity.

Did Bat ever address these problems. I see a lot of Bats on the line, and a lot of mediocre shooting rifles.

Farley was the same way. When they abandoned their originol screw in shroud/firing pin design and went to that sliding block, I think they took a step backwards.

Just my opinion, but I thing both manufacturers were looking for a solution to a problem that did not exist, and created a more complicated assy that was prone to problems.

I still say the very best shooting action, right out of the box, is a panda.

I will say.....the best custom actions I have bought lately....two of them and both rifles won or placed top five, with their first barrels and nothing done to them....Bordens BR. The guy I just sold my green rifle too...don't know how lucky he just got.

Hovis

As one top shooter said:

Custom actions should be referred to as "Action Kits".

Hovis

I would have to agree!
I've been doing this long enough to see problems come from every custom action maker in the bizz. Just last month, I saw a "major player" forget to make the last pass on the lug raceways resulting in an impossibility of loading any ammo through the top into the magazine! This was a $1650 action that didn't work as well as a bone stock Rem 700 right out off the dealer shelves. I won't even go into what I had to do to get my last personal BR action to even fire a shot----yep, it was basically a $1450 paperweight right out of the box!
Ask Dwight how many Bats he's fixed. Ask Speedy how many Pandas he's fixed.
Bottom line: If it's made by humans, it can be flawed by humans.

I would have to agree!
I've been doing this long enough to see problems come from every custom action maker in the bizz. Just last month, I saw a "major player" forget to make the last pass on the lug raceways resulting in an impossibility of loading any ammo through the top into the magazine! This was a $1650 action that didn't work as well as a bone stock Rem 700 right out off the dealer shelves. I won't even go into what I had to do to get my last personal BR action to even fire a shot----yep, it was basically a $1450 paperweight right out of the box!
Ask Dwight how many Bats he's fixed. Ask Speedy how many Pandas he's fixed.
Bottom line: If it's made by humans, it can be flawed by humans.

And what was Speedy's fix on the Panda's? I know what Dwight's fix was on my Bat 10 years ago. With the cost of actions one should not need a fix straight out of the box. The manufactures need to step up to the plate. Just my 20 cents worth

Dan Honert

Back