Bat actions

Rflshootr

I am looking at building a 6BR on a Bat action. I could use some recomendations for which model to buy. Having never owned a Bat, and all the choices that there are, I figured I had better ask before I decide on which to order. What I do know is that I want RB LP RE in a round 2 lug action.
I have to stay within the 17lb limit. Would a 1.530 or a 1.350 action be what I would need? Which model has the longer front end? Should I go with a Model SB (7.565 length), a Model B (same length), a Model DS, or a Model MB (8.5 length)?
Thanks

Last edited:
***WARNING*** BAT actions are like LAYS chips, you cannot have just one! ***WARNING***

Now that you have been warned, I have a 6BR on a B Octagon and 6.5x284 on an M Multi Flat. Both make 17# with 1000 yard taper barrels and Nightforce scopes. Also, both are in MBR wood stocks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeff,
What brand stocks do you have? Laminated I assume? How close to 17lbs were they?
I am kind of leaning toward a 1.53 SB round action which is 37ozs. Not the heaviest, but not the lightest either. Would you happen to remember the weight of your stocks?

Keep in mind when you make a selection: the Model S, SB, and SV have a port of only 2.3 inches. That is a very small port. You will pretty much be limited to the 6ppc or 6BR cases. Anything any longer will be very difficult to feed a loaded round. The B and MB has a port of 3.0 inches which is not as limiting. It will feed all but the biggest cases.
Samuel Hall

I like the Multi Flat. I think they look nicer and better bed job. I think some of the guys had sako extractor installed by BAT because of more reliable ejection on the small 6 BR cases. Matt

One is an MBR rutland laminate, and one is a Johnny Byers walnut laminate. They are both between 16.5 and 17# with Krieger barrels & brakes. If you go to www.baityscustom.com and look under RIFLES and SHORT RANGE/SCORE you will see the 6BR with a Leupold scope.

With my dasher, I use a 3 lug, multi-port, 1.350 and only weighs 33 oz. Never failed to eject, and can run 10 shots fairly fast..... this has plenty of room for loading and extracting the 6x47 and 300 wsm. John

I have 3 of the Round B1530's one is a 6BR on a tooley mbr stock shoots very well and I love that action thats how I ended up with as many. Like Jeff in OH said one is not enough.

I have been waiting FOREVER for my new BAT M 8.5 1.47 octigon duel port. I am going to build a dasher...so I have to get an angled ejection port and Sako extractor for it to reliably eject the short cases. If you intend to shoot a 6 br or dasher, make sure to tell them that. I baught my forth BAT last June, within a month the bbl was on the action, but wouldn't friggen eject the dasher cases. :mad: So sold it and ordered another one.

Going to call them this week to see when they are making another run of "M" actions.

Bat Offers a longer ejection mini port I think they call it 6.5x47 size I always order that size and would even if I was doing a 6 PPC (you never know what you are gonna want to do with your action down the road).
Dick

PS I actually just looked at Bat's website and I no longer see choice ejection port size so I believe they have simplified the situation by offering the larger port only. I have a close friend that converted a PPC Bat to a 30BR and the port had to be opened. Since the rifle was glued into a stock with a high class paint job this was no small task.

Last edited:
Tod
There are a pair of Model M's in the classifieds from 6mmbr.com that are dual ports.
Lynn

Rflshootr,

Your decision to purchase a BAT action for benchrest is a wise choice. My IBS 1000 yard world record rifle chambered in the .300 Hulk sports a model M octagon.RBRP. It is a work of art and has earned many match wins and MANY world class groups. When it comes to long range benchrest I believe BAT is the best choice. His actions are very tight but not to the point where it they will not function under high speed shooting.
After 10 years of service it is still flawless and allows me to fire 5 rounds in 6-8 seconds flat on occasion...printing very nice groups at 1000 yards...and centered.
"Buy the best and cry once" is the best advice he has giving many folks over the years.

Good luck!

Tom Sarver
IBS 1000 Yard World Record Holder light gun Group/Score
Thanks BAT Machine

Keep in mind when you make a selection: the Model S, SB, and SV have a port of only 2.3 inches. That is a very small port. You will pretty much be limited to the 6ppc or 6BR cases. Anything any longer will be very difficult to feed a loaded round. The B and MB has a port of 3.0 inches which is not as limiting. It will feed all but the biggest cases.
Samuel Hall

I like the Multi Flat. I think they look nicer and better bed job. I think some of the guys had sako extractor installed by BAT because of more reliable ejection on the small 6 BR cases. Matt

Back