BAT Actions - Why so popular?

R

rcw3

Yesterday I was looking at my Precision Shooting magazine for November 2008 and I noticed the results for the 2008 I.B.S. Group Nationals at Kelby's Range. As I looked at the equipment list, it appeared that out of the top 20 in Sporter class, 13 had BAT Actions, and out of the top 20 in Heavy Bench, 11 had BAT Actions.

I have never owned a BAT but that's a pretty popular action and I was just wondering what makes the action so popular?

Robert Whitley

They are

Yesterday I was looking at my Precision Shooting magazine for November 2008 and I noticed the results for the 2008 I.B.S. Group Nationals at Kelby's Range. As I looked at the equipment list, it appeared that out of the top 20 in Sporter class, 13 had BAT Actions, and out of the top 20 in Heavy Bench, 11 had BAT Actions.

I have never owned a BAT but that's a pretty popular action and I was just wondering what makes the action so popular?

Robert Whitley

beautifully made, fit and finish are excellent, predictable delivery times and a certain herd mentality(not meant as critical in any way).

In my part of the world I don't see many custom actions... but I barreled a BAT a while ago and it was simply a beautiful action. The fit and finish superb. No reason not to use it...

Robert, the one BAT I have is beautifully made and with thoughtful features for the Highpower shooter such as a built-in recoil lug. Mine is a 3 lug, which is something I like, although my Borden is a 2 lug and I love how smooth and accurate it is. I'm still waiting for a stock so I haven't shot the BAT yet, but I suspect it's going to be a winner.

I have a number of RPA actions and I worry about future parts availability now that OK Weber doesn't import them and RPA has gone to mostly military production. One nice thing about US made actions is that we have less concern over parts drying up as importers/manufacturers go in and out of business. That being said, I also have a few US made actions from a manufacturer who is no longer in business and those worry me most of all. I suspect that BAT's popularity will keep them going for a very long time and parts will not be a concern.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to own 3 Stolles and they are fine actions.
But eventually I migrated over to the Bat action They are very smooth operating, slightly easier to maintain and deadly accurate . Now I have gone full circle and own 3 Bats.

for the 2008 I.B.S. Group Nationals at Kelby's Range. top 20 in Sporter class, 13 had BAT Actions.
top 20 in Heavy Bench, 11 had BAT Actions.

Of the Bats I've seen and handled they've all been first class in finish and fit. There's a reason the results are what they are. Quality takes care of it's self.

We are so blessed with so many fine custom actions. Heck, I own mostly BAT's but only because they were available at the time. I have owned and Kelbly's (Panda's and Grizzly's), Borden, Stiller and Hall's . They are all very good and have been beaten by all.

Hovis

cause

I own 20% of the company and I don't invest in junk companies

Jefferson

No need to name names

But when my (bore-dun) wares-out I'm not gonna ( seek a ) another one finicky cat

dick,

(bore-dun's) haven't been affiliated with (seek a) for lo these many years now........ g'luck wi'dat fini-cat

al

Maybe I just cannot read correctly but I guess that means you are not endorsing Borden or Nesika actions over a BAT?

Robert Whitley

Maybe I just cannot read correctly but I guess that means you are not endorsing Borden or Nesika actions over a BAT?

Robert Whitley

I LOVE Bordens..... and two of my Borden's are Nesika/Borden.

I also LOVE the BAT's, in fact I've got one packaged up right now with barrels and reamers being sent out to be fitted in 300WSM........ at Borden's Accuracy. :)

Borden just didn't make an action FAT enough for me for this project.

One little thing that I've found is that for the un-fluted Nesika bolts die wax is the slickest bolt body lube ...... for me. I use either Blue Goop or The Green Stuff for the actual lugs.

IMO the only 'answer' to the Borden/BAT conundrum would be to own both :D:D:D

I also love the AL actions I've tried, Stiller's drop port and the Kelbly's I've been privileged to shoot were wonderful. There are a lot of other worthy custom actions that I've never been able to shoot.

al

One little thing that I've found is that for the un-fluted Nesika bolts die wax is the slickest bolt body lube ...... for me. I use either Blue Goop or The Green Stuff for the actual lugs.

al

Al, have you tried the Imperial Action Wax? I've used it for a few years now and believe that I can feel that the actions work smoother with it on the body, cocking piece, & lugs than the other lubes I've tried.

FWIW,
-Dave-:)

Al, have you tried the Imperial Action Wax? I've used it for a few years now and believe that I can feel that the actions work smoother with it on the body, cocking piece, & lugs than the other lubes I've tried.

FWIW,
-Dave-:)

Nope,

just Imperial Die Wax and Davey Dohrmann's TruKote Die Wax.

I'll checki'dout

al

I LOVE Bordens..... and two of my Borden's are Nesika/Borden.

I also LOVE the BAT's, in fact I've got one packaged up right now with barrels and reamers being sent out to be fitted in 300WSM........ at Borden's Accuracy. :)

Borden just didn't make an action FAT enough for me for this project.

IMO the only 'answer' to the Borden/BAT conundrum would be to own both :D:D:D

I also love the AL actions I've tried, Stiller's drop port and the Kelbly's I've been privileged to shoot were wonderful. There are a lot of other worthy custom actions that I've never been able to shoot.

al

Al

I was not trying to "put you on the spot" with BAT vs Borden vs Nesika actions, but I did enjoy your play on words in the earlier posting.

Robert Whitley

Back