Bat action--which bolt?

pablo

Trying to gather a little information about the bolt that is available for the BAT DS action that will run both PPC and BR brass. The question is, does this bolt extract and eject both the PPC and BR brass equally well or does it occasionally fail to extract or eject one case or the other. This rifle is a short range BR build that needs to function as near to perfect as possible. I'm one of those guys that doesn't handle mechanical malfunctions during a string well, breaks my concentration and I get the stupids.

Please don't post buy a Panda or a Borden, not interested in those, just info on the BAT two way bolt. THANKS!!

I can tell you this. A good friend has a BAT "S", which is a little shorter than a DS. He tried to set it up as switch barrel 6PPC/30BR. It is right/left/right.

It would extract and eject the BR case great. But when he but on the 6PPC barrel, it would extract the case fine, but one out of four times would flip it in the rifle as the bolt came back He tried lighter springs, etc, but finally ordered a 6PPC bolt for it. Works great.

If you want 100 percent reliability in ejection, that might be your best bet.

Some swear to no problems. But getting really good ejection without too many problem takes a little effort.

My BAT is a Model B and it is set up to handle both PPC and BR cases. It is an early model with the forward ejection port (RB/LP) and it has a Winchester type extractor. I put a lighter spring in the plunger ejector so that it would not throw the brass with such vigor. I have used this same platform with a .22PPC-short, a 6mm PPC, a 6XC, a 6mm Dasher, and a .30 BR. It works great and I have shot it for many years. Good shooting...James

Attachments

• Hawk Hill (8).jpg
    Hawk Hill (8).jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 273
I've got a Hall action on my rail with a BR bolt face. It came with two extractors...PPC and BR. Pretty sure the BR extractor is the one installed and it works just fine for PPC cases. Hasn't missed a lick!

Ejection

My Bat B ejects both flawless. Your smith should be able to make the necessary adjustments that yours does too.

I have a Bat Action that works flawless, it is a DDS action, which I still to this day, will not tell you who built it for me, it is a left bolt, right eject and I love it. Would I spend my money on a Kelbly short action, yes in a heartbeat, but that is just me. Anyway????????????????????

Back