base and rings

7run

i am looking to buy a new set of rings for my 7rum. the rifle already has a two piece redfield base i need to get 30mm rings and dont know if i should buy a new base with minute of angle or all i need is a good set of rings. the rifle is mostly used for hunting but i want to try my hand at 1000yds. keep in mind i would like to keep the weight of the rifle as low as possible, but would add a few more ounces for strength if thats what needed. is two piece as good as one and is weaver style better then redfield also what rings and bases to go with? thanks for any help.

Base & Rings

If you are planning on sgooting 1000yds you will most likely need a base with 15-20 moa in it.Depending on what scope you are using , you might have problems getting a 100yd zero.There are plenty of suppliers that handle 1 piece bases for rem700(i'm assumimg thats what your gun is)Hollands,Badger,Lightforce look for a weaver style /picatinny rail base.

I like to use a weaver style /picatinny rail base ang Burris Sig ZEE rings with the inserts. you can get up to 40moa with them with extra set of inserts.

Mark

I like the weaver style mounts with Z rings as well. I am in the process of standardizing all of my rifles to have Weaver style bases and Burris Z rings.
All weaver bases so that I can swap scopes around different rifles if necassary, and Z rings as they have adjustable offsets, perfect alignment not stressing the scope and they dont mark the scope tubes.

I posted a similar answer a while ago... here is a copy of it...

What I believe, take it for what it's worth.

First I don't know what game you are in so...

Tactical... Go strong and heavy
Benchrest... Go strong yet light
Hunting Varmints... Go Strong, Go Heavy, Go Light, Go whatever you want
Dangerous Game... Go Express Open Sights
Going to a collectors show... Go for Looks, engraving and Gold is nice too.

Anyway...

For Benchrest we have the oportunity to use light Kelbly rings on their rail, or Davidson bases on various other actions. Or if you are using another custom action, the builder usually has rings to match that are strong yet light example would be BAT.

For Tactical there is only one way "Picatinny", not to be confused with "similar to Picatinny". The government has a set of .pdf drawings that have the exact dimensions and tollerances of a "Picatinny" Rail, it's slots depth, the rails width, the slots width, the slots spacing, etc. There are a few suppliers that have their bases and rings that meet U.S. Government specs on Picatinny rails. Glen Seekins of Seekins Precision is one. His Bases, and Rings are by far the best I have used. A scope that is mounted in that type of set-up, is in the best fixture possible. I would suggest single piece bases because they are one piece and provided that they are bedded and mounted properly, you aren't mounting your scope in a bind. The Weaver (cross slot) rings in my opinion are a cheap knock off of a Picatinny system. With the Picatinny System you can remove the scope by removing the rings from the base, then return the scope to the rifle in the same slot and be VERY close to where you were sighted in before (very was bold for a reason). I like the Leupold brand of Picatinny Ring as well, it is the Mark 4 series. I like a Steel Base, but I like Aluminum rings because they can bend and conform to the scope and grab it nicely so that the scope is not likely to slip in the ring. With the tollerances for the Picatinny system in use by manufacturers, a scope that is set-up on one "one piece rail" can be moved to another "one piece rail" of Picatinny standards. For this to happen, the rings and rails have to meet "Picatinny" standards. Glen Seekins Rails and rings do that. Others that might, (I do not have direct experience with them,) but I believe Near Manufacturing and Badger Ordinance do that too. But I can only speak for what I have seen with Seekins stuff and with the Leupold stuff.

Hope it helps.

Paul

I don't think you will find better value and quality then TPS. Check out the link. Very nice equipment and made to spec.

Back