Barrel turning question

Worker

I'm replacing the sporter factory bbl on my Mod 70 Classic ( 270 WSM) with a Krieger BBL chambered in 7MM WSM. Bruno Shooter supply has a Krieger 7MM bbl in stock. Its listed as 7MM 1-8.5 tw #17 HV @31" That's the twist I want. Can a gunsmith turn that size bbl down to heavy sporter ? I want a 26" bbl. So is this the correct bbl to have shipped to my gunsmith

Why don't you..........................

call Krieger and ask them if you can pay them to do it?? That way, you can get it done right from the people who made it in the first place.

The reason I say this is because not everyone wants to do that, or will.
Hope this was of some help.......:)

I think that you will find that the economics do not favor buying a much heavier contour and turning it down, either by your gunsmith or the barrel maker. BTW you should be having this conversation with your gunsmith, rather than checking with anyone else and then having something shipped.

I'm replacing the sporter factory bbl on my Mod 70 Classic ( 270 WSM) with a Krieger BBL chambered in 7MM WSM. Bruno Shooter supply has a Krieger 7MM bbl in stock. Its listed as 7MM 1-8.5 tw #17 HV @31" That's the twist I want. Can a gunsmith turn that size bbl down to heavy sporter ? I want a 26" bbl. So is this the correct bbl to have shipped to my gunsmith

Yes, this doable, especially if time is of the essence, but like others have said I would bounce this off your gunsmith before committing.............Don

I took a 2nd look at Brono Shooters supply web site they have a #4 contour 7mm bbl with a 1-9 twist. Muzzle measures .670........ I was hoping to shoot Berger 180 gr VLD . They're web site says 9" twist is fine. But other shooters are using a 8.5 or 8" twist. Why ? I'd like a bullet range from at least 140 to180gr if possible . Today is my gun smiths day off.

If you live in elevation the 9 will do just fine, if your under 3000 feet I would get a 8.7. This has been my experience with a 9 twist 7rum from home to hunting grounds out west. The guys shooting 180's here seem to be doing better with a bit faster twist.

Back