Barrel Tuner? New to shooting P;ease help

D

Domenic

I am new to long distance shooting. I am building a rifle for long distance hunting and was possibly looking at barrel tuners. So I guess I will tell you what I have so far and then hopefully I can get put in the right direction. I have a 1996 model 70 300 win mag, on a choat varmint stock and a witt machine muzzle break. I have the tools to load my ammo but am new to that also. I have been using remmington brass and Winchester primers. Any info on if a barrel tuner could help me and if so which one would be GREATLY appreciated.

Id say a barrel tuner is the last thing you need. Its used on a few competition rifles to fine tune a load to particular barrels and match conditions. You need a good barrel, scope, action and stock for long range hunting.

I'm kinda thinking like Dusty but don't know much about long range hunting equipment. I suppose the questions will become how far is long range and what are you hunting.

My advice would be to put in an extensive amount of time shooting paper with whatever rig that you build before actually hunting with it.

Perhaps even better, would be to build a 6 Dasher and shoot it extensively and shoot the hunting rig when you're comfortable with the Dasher.

Right now, talk about a tuner is somewhere outside of three standard deviations from the mean.

Tuner on a 300 Win Mag?

So you're fairly new to reloading?

I suggest you work on developing your reloading skills . You may find that you don't need a Barrel tuner for your 300 Win Mag. A long distance hunting rifle can be quite effective without adding an unnecessary variable. I agree with Dusty's assessment.

I assume that the live targets you'll be shooting at, fall under the category of "One shot,one Kill". If my assumption is correct,a barrel tuner will not necessarily improve your chances of bagging live game.

I highly recommend that you use one of them shoulder pads to further tame the recoil on your 300 Win Mag. Finding an accurate load for that caliber can be a punishing endeavor. Been there,done that.

Glenn

There are many more fundamental issues that you need to learn about and become proficient at, before you even consider a tuner. If you are new to reloading, you need to master that, and beyond that finding the best load for your rifle. Then there is the rifle itself. I know of no one who is doing serious center fire accuracy work who is working with a factory Winchester barrel. This is not to say that yours will not do well or that its current performance cannot be improved upon. Then there is the matter of how the action fits the stock. Factory actions are generally heat treated after machining and as a result may not be perfectly true. There are other issues in this area, but this one relates to fit with the stock, which can have a marked effect on accuracy. My point is that the pursuit of accuracy has many related aspects, and that you have a lot of fun ahead of you learning about them. I would put the thought of muzzle brakes aside for a while, and learn more about the other factors. Good luck with your project. If you have specific questions, I encourage you to ask them here. You will probably get some very good answers. Now I have a question for you. What sort of average accuracy are you currently getting?

Factory Rifle

A Factory Rifle,chambered in 300 Win Mag with factory barrel and factory ammo is capable of excellent accuracy for long range hunting. I owned a Remington 700 Sendero,300 win mag when they first came out. It was very accurate using factory ammo. Hand loading for accuracy with a 300 win mag requires extensive range testing of your favorite hand loads. I Installed an aftermarket recoil pad to tame the recoil a bit. I also wore a PAST shoulder recoil pad. Finally got tired of getting beat up at every range session. Traded the gun for something more recoil friendly:)

Hand loaded ammo was a tad more accurate,but I found it not to be necessary for Long range hunting for Big game in North America.

Glenn

There are many more fundamental issues that you need to learn about and become proficient at, before you even consider a tuner. If you are new to reloading, you need to master that, and beyond that finding the best load for your rifle. Then there is the rifle itself. I know of no one who is doing serious center fire accuracy work who is working with a factory Winchester barrel. This is not to say that yours will not do well or that its current performance cannot be improved upon. Then there is the matter of how the action fits the stock. Factory actions are generally heat treated after machining and as a result may not be perfectly true. There are other issues in this area, but this one relates to fit with the stock, which can have a marked effect on accuracy. My point is that the pursuit of accuracy has many related aspects, and that you have a lot of fun ahead of you learning about them. I would put the thought of muzzle brakes aside for a while, and learn more about the other factors. Good luck with your project. If you have specific questions, I encourage you to ask them here. You will probably get some very good answers. Now I have a question for you. What sort of average accuracy are you currently getting?

When I originally started I tried a few powders and amounts of that powder and shooting 178 A-Max's was shooting groups covered by a nickel at 100y and less than a dollar bill at 400y. I then tried Accubond 180 and loaded the best A-Max load and all of a sudden that same A-Max load was now shooting about a dollar bill at 100y. I did just figure out my cases were not all the same length, some too short and some too long. I bought a trimmer yesterday. I also do not have a factory crimper, is this something I need? As far a scope goes I have a Nikon Monarch 3 6-24. Thank you for all the info so far if you guys have anything more please keep telling me all the mistakes I have made so far.

300 win mag likes hot loads but be cautioned if youre inexperienced in looking for signs of pressure as well as that being a winchester action. Try other bullets- you may like a 150 or 165 for that twist rate

OK I went and trimmed all the cases to the same size and loaded some rounds and shot 3 round groups at 100 yards, best so far was 180g Accubonds with 81g of H1000 (max load). All three were touching each other and just covered with a dime. I am happy with this load for now and will play around with this for coyotes but am going to try to get the Accubond LR 210g to shoot for bear and when I am ready to go past 500 yards.

Back