barrel set back

lriner

I have a rem ss varmit 22-250 that after 2000 or so rounds she is leaving me.Would really like to revitalize her if possible.The reason,she shot every handload you stick in it very very well.She is like an old girlfriend.So if I set the barrel back what can I expect?Wil she return to her old self,or just forget it and rebarrel?If you guys have had experience in barrel set back I would appreciate your input.How about it alinwa. lriner

Unless you do your own barrel work, set back and rechambering is never a good idea. Even then it's not a good idea. Buy a barrel blank from a top custom maker, find a good BR smith and have it fitted and you will have a great chance of having a good shooting rifle again. Maybe even better.:D

Barrel set back

Jackie Schmidt sets all his good shooting barrels back every 400 rounds or so.
This practice seems to serve him well :).......Vic
:

Barrel setback

Jackie Schmidt sets all his good shooting barrels back every 400 rounds or so.
This practice seems to serve him well .......Vic

It is debateable if it serves him well or if it serves him damn righ :D

BA

??

I would get a custom barrel---I borescoped my factory bbl (22-250) after 2300 rds. and the riflings were washed out about 1.25" down the barrel---Most likely, if you wanted to setback, you couldn't get a throat setting on crisp rifling. (and if you could there wouldn't be enough meat around your chamber)----I used my takeoff for a .223 (short) truck gun ----I am surprised by how well it looks in borescope and by how well it shoots for a hammer forged bbl---after 3000+ rounds. (after cutting about 2 full inches off at chamber, and 4 in. at the muzzle)

1. Jackie is shooting a 6ppc....setting them back at 450rnds

2. Jackie is shooting custom barrels....

To setback a factory barrel with that many rounds is foolish at best....

Hovis

I would get a custom barrel---I borescoped my factory bbl (22-250) after 2300 rds. and the riflings were washed out about 1.25" down the barrel---Most likely, if you wanted to setback, you couldn't get a throat setting on crisp rifling. (and if you could there wouldn't be enough meat around your chamber)----I used my takeoff for a .223 (short) truck gun ----I am surprised by how well it looks in borescope and by how well it shoots for a hammer forged bbl---after 3000+ rounds. (after cutting about 2 full inches off at chamber, and 4 in. at the muzzle)

you guys answered my question.Thanks.I had no idea how far throat erosion had to be before we loose accuracy.I've been wanting to try a barrel with cut riflings anyway.Thanks again guys. Lynn Riner

22-250 barrel

Iriner: Your experience with the 22-250 mirrors my own " 2 1/2" times. Burned out a Remington factory CM at 2400 documentd, followed by a Hart SS at 2450 ( also documented), replaced #2 with Shilen SS and at 900 rds. saw the beginning of some serious firecracking in front of the chamber ("Hawkeye"), set-back & rechembered to 22BR. So far, the 22BR has been an excellent choice (1-12 twist), and I was able to "start" with an erosion-free chamber. I am at the limits of barrel shank diameter though, so another set-back would not be a consideration. That being said, I would not put all the time and money into a factory barrel: the Shilen was an exceptional barrel as a 22-250, so in this example I felt it would be worthwhile.;)

Back