Barrel Nut Truing

I made no assumption, I understood your statements. You were very clear. Why argue with those who have offered to help you, after all it was you that asked for assistance. If you are really that smart you shouldn't need to ask for guidance.

FWIW
That's part of the reason all threaded assemblies use a shoulder to register against. Threads were never meant to be a means of precise alignment.
As always, things have a context. I remember sitting listening to Alan Hall & son, Bruce Thom, Jim Charmichael, Dave Tooley & one or two others while waiting to shoot at one of the 1,000 yard Nationals.

Somebody asked Bruce why he used a 2-inch tenon on his big BAT action, since 3-4 threads do the bulk of the work. "I didn't do it for strength, I did it for alignment." was his reply.

Last edited:
TRA,

Come on TRA that wasn’t argument…making the statement “I would venture to say that those nuts are out more, now, than when you started.”…that’s not constructive criticism.

Three years into teaching myself gunsmithing I consider myself a rank beginner (at gunsmithing). But I don’t come to the craft without any skills, experience or knowledge that crosses over. I even hope that I might be able to bring a few tidbits to the forum that some will find interesting.

There are many people here that I have a tons of respect for.

I absolutely appreciate how generously great information is offered up on a regular basis on this forum.

Bob

This is a great topic and We've all seen great ways to set up to do this operation, but the question remains, why not just set up the new barrel for a savage with a shoulder, like the Remington and others? This way the headspace is set up correct once and once brass is built and dies are set, each time you put this barrel back on the rifle no problems are encountered.

Paul

I shoot guns setup both ways, and have no real quarrel with either one. Just depends on what's on my mind that particular moment. But on the otherhand if you do a serious study on the advantages and disadvantages of both systems you may have a lot of second thoughts about your post. And then later there was the comment made about using the 2" tenon. Alignment is the answer. There's a static alignent, and then there's an alignment created by vectors of force involved. Guys asked me why all the time, and then come up with some off the wall idea as to why. We all have opinions, and hopefully it's based on real engineering instead of a wive's tale.
gary

this about the same way i made my mandrel eccept i left a shoulder to tighten the nut up on.i made a mandrel to true the reciever threaded it and undercut it at the end of the threads so i would have enough room to get my tool infront of the reciever then faced the end off and turned the end a little under the thread size.put a dab of grease on the locking lug recess screwed the reciever on letting it tighten up against the recces just hand tight will hold it enough to face it off. not a perfect settup but it works

Back