Barrel Life

Z

Zundel257

Ok, I am getting ready to get another rifle and it is used and comes with a Hart barrel that has approx 1000 rounds through it and a Kreiger barrel that is new. My question is about the average life of a barrel. Approximately how many shots with a 6mm PPC normally wears the barrel out?

Barrel life

It depends on how good you think you are and how quick you are to place the blame to something other than yourself. So for me, it'd be around 100 rounds or one match.
Hope to see you again at Rachel's Glenn in the fall!
Charlie Hood

I am planning on being at the next rachel's glen match for sure!! And what I learned from the previous thread is that it should wear out somewhere between 900 and 5000 rounds. That narrows it down.

It depends on how good you think you are and how quick you are to place the blame to something other than yourself. So for me, it'd be around 100 rounds or one match.
Hope to see you again at Rachel's Glenn in the fall!
Charlie Hood
Now Charlie, I seem to remember you're winning a bit. Both yardages and 4-guns. You saying you get the win & blame the barrel?

Hey Jeff, To be serious, 900-5,000 would be a good number, it's not set in stone. When I use to shoot a lot, I'd base it on how I was fairing against known, regular competitors, people that I'd competed with on many shoots. If there was a gradual downward trend, then I'd suspect maybe the barrel was quitting on me. But then I've also blamed it on the barrel, only to find out later it was a component problem. We tried to tell you, don't do it, instead run for your life, but noooo you had to shoot that first match. Welcome to the cuckoo's nest!

Hi Charles! Haven't won anything in a good long time,---- got to be the barrel, can't be the old age and lack of practice or teen aggs people are shooting. Hell, back then shooting a teen group was a big deal for me, now they're agging them! I'm just happy to hang out with the gang and have fun. (now if I get a hummer---)

My experience on this is that it all depends on what you load for powder and how hot you get the barrel.

I have noticed that one brand seems to last quite a bit longer then others. There are tretments that also harden barrels .
Most of the top shooters are changing barrels and doing setbacks after a given amount of rounds fired.
Jackie Schmidt comes to mind on this I think his post said 300rds or so on the set back.

You know something? Life is like a roll of toilet paper - the nearer you get to the end the faster it goes. Bit like barrels - the nearer you get to the end the more inaccurate they become. Barrel life is in YOUR hands....load 'em hot you don't get a lot.
When I first started in the 1970's we only had powders like 4895 & 4198 and could get 3000 rounds easy from a barrel, but then our accuracy standards were not what they are now.
I run mainly Kreigers, and would say that 1000 rounds would be max for top accuracy - not the barrels fault, but warmish loads take their toll.
The Bartlien barrel that we won with in South Africa at the WBC (Stuart Elliott doubled up on it after his rifle went sour) was absolutely stuffed afterwards. Probably had around 700 rounds all up, but I suspect that the powder we had to use might have had a lot to do with it.

Brendan Atkinson

Ok, I am getting ready to get another rifle and it is used and comes with a Hart barrel that has approx 1000 rounds through it and a Kreiger barrel that is new. My question is about the average life of a barrel. Approximately how many shots with a 6mm PPC normally wears the barrel out?
I do not mean to dampen your enthusiasm or anything but did you ever see a rifle advertised as having a "shot out barrel" ? it seems like they are always either "new" or "around a thousand" rounds. I always say buy a used rifle assuming the barrel is toast and then you will never be disappointed.

Dick

Jeff - I have a HV barrel with 2600+ rounds that shot 2 screamers at 200 last year (each was .227"). Another shooter shot two "zeros" at 100yd at Tacoma with over 6000 rounds on the barrel a few years ago - the throat of the barrel was scorched! Shoot 'em 'till they don't shoot is becoming my view.

Chris

You just never know. A friend recently bought a couple of used barrels from a shooter that he deemed that would not shoot. My friend rechambered them to fit his action. The first groups out of the first barrel was in the high 0's and low 1's. You just never know. I think a lot of it depends on what you can afford.

Donald

Back