Barrel life on 300 Ackley???

I've been shooting a 300 Ackley HG for about a year and have a little over 850 rounds through the Hart 1-11 twist, 30" bbl. It's still winning for me most months at our local match but I'm starting to see some throat erosion and other wear through the bore scope.

Can someone give me an idea of what the typical accurate barrel life is for the 300 Ackley? I've been shooting Berger 210's over RL25 at about 2,975fps.

Thanks,

Chuck

1200 to 1500

12 to 1500 is the figure that I have heard. I've got about 800 on my 11" twist Broughton and have not noticed any erosion w/ the bore scope. Running REL 25 & Berger 210s @ 3025 - 3050.
Baron

I have got upwards of 1800 with a Krieger and I know someone that stated he had well over 2000 rounds and the barrel was still winning.

That would be great!

Joel,
Like I said, when we bore scoped mine at about 750 it looked perfect. With the new HG coming in weeks I wont have to shot the LG in HG matches anymore (good thing too looking at my Match 5 & 6 performance). Hopefully I too can get upwards of 2000. All of these BR Guns, Powder, Primers, Cases, Bullets & The Divorce are driving me to the Poor House! I am looking forward to shooting with you & the HR bunch in 2009. I'll be bring a couple more fellows with me next year.
Baron

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input, guys. Maybe I can get another year out of my barrel. Changing barrels on these HG's with glued barrel blocks gets expensive.

Chuck

Back