Barrel life of 6PPC?

mikecr

What in your experience can be expected of 6PPC accurate barrel life at your loads.
I'm talkin a general sense like -when the damn thing just won't shoot like it had before.
Thanks

I would say 900-1300. The Kreiger that I had Joel Kendrick do the Melonite QPQ to was still shooting at 5,000 rds. Throat was excellent at that time. It disappeared!!
Butch

Butch,
Did you have to do any lapping when the barrel got back from treatment? Also, did velocities change for the same load? How much would it cost to have one done, not counting freight?
Boyd

Boyd,
I just ran a patch through it when I got it back. I can not comment on velocity change as I sent him a freshly chambered barrel. You will have to get with Joel on price. Mine were done when he was at his old job and was doing these on the side.
Butch

Thought the melonite was to be done after the barrel was broken in.

He wants them with minimal rounds through them. As to the barrel after the treatement was done, I had to go up .5g to get back to the same accuracy node I had before I sent it. It seems to be shooting better the more I use it. it isn't a "world beater" yet however. Perhaps I haven't tried enough combinations in it yet to find what it reallly likes. If it lasts through 5000 rounds, it will see me out of my Shooting career.

Last edited:
mikecr: A Shilen heavy varmint contour, stainless, 1-14, 28.0 N133 w/ 68 Bergers, began throwing an occassional unexplained wild shot at around 2200 rds., and copper fouling became more of a problem. Checked the throat with my Hawkeye and confirmed the beginning of some serious firecracking for 2" to 3" in front of the chamber. Barrel was set-back from 24" to 20" & re-chambered, at 2410 rds. fired and is once again grouping as it did when a new 24".

I would say 900-1300. The Kreiger that I had Joel Kendrick do the Melonite QPQ to was still shooting at 5,000 rds. Throat was excellent at that time. It disappeared!!
Butch

Butch,
What do you mean "it disappeared".

Back