Barrel Length

NesikaPPC

I have seen pictures and read articles where guys are shooting barrels 30" barrels and longer at long range varmints. What are the issues with using a longer barrel? Does it put different stresses on the rifle? Is it a non-issue with long enough threads into the receiver? Other things I'm not considering?

Robert

Some thoughts,

Barrel weight does change the characteristics of the rifle, it is my opinion that for a rifle to shoot to it's potential it should be set up to balance within one inch of the receiver ring, definitely no further forward than the shoulder of the chambered cartridge. If the system gets too eccentric then one solution is a barrel block.

Thread length has no effect. Threaded shanks are already twice to three times as long as necessary.

Generally speaking longer barrels make the system "whippier" and the tuning nodes wider.

opinionby,

al

I know there are several factors that I may not be mentioning, but can a 1000 yd shot be made repetitively with a custom action, 26" barrel, and no barrel block?

Robert 26" barrel will do the trick, get beat by them all the time. What Caliber are you talking, there are a lot of good powders out there that will do the trick!

Joe Salt

Back