Barrel length vs velocity

bingo tom, and the further from the target you see the bullet the greater the parallax error.

I believe that it is the light conditions and not the length of the barrel. When we have bright sunlight on the bullet and the target side we shoot at is shaded it is most pronounced. I believe that if we were shooting at a black target with white rings we could see the bullet approach even better.

What I see is the bullet and it seems to follow a semicircular path like a "C" with it's open side on the bottom. it appears to travel up then right then down not unlike a curve ball.

I first saw this with other shooters and they were seeing it too. One of the more experienced shooters said, "It's a dang wonder that we ever hit the target".:)

Concho Bill

Bill, they have limited knowledge on ballistics, dont understand tuning, have no concept on timing and now find out they don't understand parallax. I agree how do they ever hit anything.

Confucius also say, "Those who can not perform in competition become teachers and post crappy targets and graphs to explain tuning".

Jame he did say that but it was, I believe, some time after the one about " Those who shoot mostly the keyboard walk a road paved with many many words that lead nowhere". Ah so.

James, tim and beau. if you can see the bullet 15 yards in front of a 50 yard target the parallax maximum error would cause a miss on the x ring, sure you genius's knew that. sometimes i think expensive guns were bought and shot and everyone thinks their top gun. it becomes more obvious who knows and who has spent time around shooters. when you are found out the only thing to do is lash out, what else can you do.

Lash Out????

James, tim and beau. if you can see the bullet 15 yards in front of a 50 yard target the parallax maximum error would cause a miss on the x ring, sure you genius's knew that. sometimes i think expensive guns were bought and shot and everyone thinks their top gun. it becomes more obvious who knows and who has spent time around shooters. when you are found out the only thing to do is lash out, what else can you do.

You quote Confucius its ok, I quote Confucius I am lashing out? Martin, I don't have to tune my rifle, I just shoot my daughters rifle, she tunes it and adjust the parallax and I just shoot it. Unlike you, she does shoot in REAL matches and DOES know how to tune her rifle.

The road to nowhere often has many branches that apparantly go there as well. Martin imagine the volume of knowledge you will attain after you shoot two matches. Ahhhhhh soooooo. Remember, man who type so much must lift right buttcheeck to remove head and spellcheck excessive horsepucky. Ah.......so.

Bill, they have limited knowledge on ballistics, dont understand tuning, have no concept on timing and now find out they don't understand parallax. I agree how do they ever hit anything.

But, strangely, I could beat you anytime, anyplace. Lucky me.

You can always do like you and pretend to be an expert without any accomplishments at all. Remember your "two speed" test. Didn't work according to your theory. So far, you've not proven you know anything. By the way where did you get 15 yards? Make it up or did I miss something?

I believe that it is the light conditions (that allows us to see the bullet approaching the target).

What I see is the bullet and it seems to follow a semicircular path like a "C" with it's open side on the bottom. it appears to travel up then right then down not unlike a curve ball. (all of this apparent movement is in the range of 1/2 inch)

Concho Bill

I reported what I have seen. I believe that at some point the bullet comes into enough focus that it is visible in my 36 X scope. The bullet will appear to rise to some point past 25 yards and reach the high point of it's trajectory and then it will start down and that explains the up and down part of the movement. The left to right movement is anybody's guess but my guess is that it has to do with the rotation of the bullet and that it is really moving to the right.

I don't think that it is parallax. It could have been wind but I believe it is the curve ball effect caused by the rotation of the bullet in the air.

Concho Bill

I reported what I have seen. I believe that at some point the bullet comes into enough focus that it is visible in my 36 X scope. The bullet will appear to rise to some point past 25 yards and reach the high point of it's trajectory and then it will start down and that explains the up and down part of the movement. The left to right movement is anybody's guess but my guess is that it has to do with the rotation of the bullet and that it is really moving to the right.

I don't think that it is parallax. It could have been wind but I believe it is the curve ball effect caused by the rotation of the bullet in the air.

Concho Bill

There you go Bill. I don't know what you've seen, but I don't doubt that you've reported exactly what you saw. Same thing with me. But now Martin tells me I didn't see that.

Every time I've seen it the bullet ended up going down and to the right, never left.

Wayne

The things that I see go to the right also.

There you go Bill. I don't know what you've seen, but I don't doubt that you've reported exactly what you saw. Same thing with me. But now Martin tells me I didn't see that.

Anybody who tell you you didn't see what you saw and that you made a mistake is making a bigger one.

Try shooting into a dark embankment at 200 yards on a bright day with a 22 with a big scope and you may see the bullet appear to drop to the point of impact.

Concho Bill

I saw da bullet too!

I have seen the bullet when using match ammo. I figured lots of people have. It has depended on the light, to a degree. I am only guessing that Beau was implying it was velocity, or the amount of time in flight, that contributed to seeing the bullet or not. Shorter barrel, more velocity, less time of flight and opportunity to see the bullet. Longer barrel, less velocity, more time of flight and opportunity to see the bullet.

Might be that I understood it wrong, but it seemed to me that Martin thought Beau was saying that the bullet rose above the view of the scope due to a higher trajectory and less velocity. I did not understand that Beau was saying that. It simply takes a nanosecond for the eye to pick up the bullet in flight. A slower bullet gives more time to see it under certain conditions.

Greg

I've talked to a few other shooters about this and some can see it some can't. I watch my bullets all the time. I have since I was a kid. The best way is to is to get all set up to shoot the target and then just move off the target and fire into the berm. If the light is right you can watch them on target too, it's really cool to follow them until impact.

Roger

Maybe some of us see things better or just see things.

I shouldn't but I will try to inject some science into this discussion of seeing the bullet in flight. With a 35 X telescope the bullet will appear to travel 35 times slower. Example: A bullet with a velocity of 1085 feet pre second will appear to travel at the rate of 31 feet per second.

Chew on that for awhile.:)

Concho Bill

I shoot IR 50/50 only at our informal club meets on Wednesdays at Camillus, NY during the summer league. Of the three rifles that I use, all Anschutz, a BR-50, 1808 EDS and a 54 MS, the longest barrel length is only 20”. As long as the sun is shinning I can always see the flight of the bullet. I use some old Federal Match 900B, according to the box 1080, and a supply of Eley BR50, which I don’t know the speed. So my point is that it does not take a long barrel to produce the affect of seeing the bullet path in flight as I clearly see it with all three of my guns.

Ed

Seeing bullets

Nearly every time I see my bullets, they don't go where I think I aimed them, so I quit looking.

I'm not kidding, if I see the bullet go into the target, it usually isn't a good shot.

I've always thought it was because some bullets cork screw to target (out of balance) and some spin true (go to sleep).

I've seen bullets go down range from the side of another shooter as he shot. The sun was to my back and the bullets gleamed as they went downrange. In my own gun I can see the bullets in my scope if I shoulder the gun as to keep the recoil from causing the stock of my gun in a track that allows the bullet to remain in the line of sight of the scope. Otherwise if I let the gun recoil the down and back tracking of the stock doesn't keep the bullet's travel in the scope. But it always seems that the bullet "spirals" in path, first up and then down and to the left.

Carp

Not to start an argument but just to report my observations. Besides shooting at 50 yards benchrest, I also shoot at 65, 75, 100, 150 and 200 meters benchrest. Using the same lot of ammo out of the same rifle, I sometimes see my bullets and sometimes don't. It seem very light dependent for me. But here comes the kicker. I go to very great length to see that my scope cross hairs are plumb and horizontal and that the rifle is in line with the scope cross hairs otherwise you start getting horizontal errors when you adjust your scope up some 27 minutes to reach 200 meters. It has been my experience that if the wind conditions are very calm at 65 and 200 meters, there is no additional horizontal deviation caused by the rifleing twist in the barrel. If it were, one would always have to adjust the scope for windage when you change ranges.

Unless there is a significant wind, I do not see any corkscrewing and I only see the bullet close to the point of impact and it appears, at least to me to be dropping onto the target. I do not see it rising. But maybe Martin can tell me what I see since I don't hit very much because my rifle is never in tune and the scope is always out of parallax adjustment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on your parralax adjustment and center of focus you can see your bullets all the time. Quite often when starting out with a few heaters on a new card I'll shoot just over the board. You can see every one of them going over. Early, late, cloudy, sunny. Don't have a clue what it proves but you can see'em all.

Last edited:
Back