Barrel length for 6ppc and 30BR?

trap066

Ron Jackson
What are the max barrel lengths, or best barrel lengths for 6ppc and 30BR? I'll be using 1.250, 1.350 and 1.450 straight contour barrels for both.
Thanks,
Ron

40 inches
ohh you did not mention for what use, what class.
maybe 48"

Along these lines, I'd like to hear opinions on WHY one length is more ideal than another for these cartridges.

Doesn't everyone know a PPC should be 21-3/4" long???

Attachments

• Secrets of the Houston Warehouse.pdf
    82.9 KB · Views: 380
don't know about

the smart ass replys, but 21 to 23 inches has worked well. Some will go longer with the diameters you are talking. I have not found any "magic" with a certain length. They just tune different.

Richard Brensing

Thanks for the info.

I'll be shooting a bag gun in short range BR unlimited class. One of my friends is shooting a 26" 1.350 bag gun in 30BR and doing well. A lot of 24 inch in the 30BR. Seems the 22-23 inch 6ppc is what everyone is shooting. Just thought someone may have tested longer barrel lengths.

I shoot 30 BR barrels generally cut to 24" , the only reason I shoot them that long is you can set them back a full chamber length and still have a 21-1/2 or 22" barrel after 4 or 5000 rounds. Generally accepted consensus is that even 24 really is longer than necessary but does not hurt. I am talking hV taper here not straight taper.

yes the huston warehouse produced the famous 21.75 number.
and 24 is a popular number for 30 br as noted.

my limited knowledge,have never seen a big heavy 30 br.

I'll be shooting a bag gun in short range BR unlimited class. One of my friends is shooting a 26" 1.350 bag gun in 30BR and doing well. A lot of 24 inch in the 30BR. Seems the 22-23 inch 6ppc is what everyone is shooting. Just thought someone may have tested longer barrel lengths.

One additional consideration on those heavy straight barrels in a bag gun is balance. As far as length probably 18" or so will burn all the powder so longer barrel is costing you velocity.

I shoot 30 BR barrels generally cut to 24" , the only reason I shoot them that long is you can set them back a full chamber length and still have a 21-1/2 or 22" barrel after 4 or 5000 rounds. Generally accepted consensus is that even 24 really is longer than necessary but does not hurt. I am talking hV taper here not straight taper.

there is no ideal length. My best 30BR barrel ever is now down to about 20 1/4 inches, and shoots just as good as it did when it started out t about 22 1/2. The velocity seems about the same as well, which leads me to believe that with the standard 35.0 grn load of 4198 I shoot with a 112 grn bullet, it's all done in about 19 inches.

I start with about 21 1/2 with the PPC barrels, by the time I set them back 3 times, it will be around 20 1/4 or so.

The best shooting 6PPC barrel I have at the moment is a Krieger that originated back in about 2006. It's on it's 3d set back, and shoots as good as any barrel I have ever owned.

Jackie...how many rounds do you usually set back? Is it round count that determines when? Or what the throat looks like?

Barrel length?
It depends on what I am and you are shooting.
If you are shooting a 6PPC it is safe to assume you are shooting group matches. In this case, you are probably shooting a light varmint rifle..

Francis
A LV 10.5 lb rifle with 1.450" straight barrel is going to have a very short barrel, and be illegal anyhow.
I believe you are arriving at an erroneous conclusion. I think you missed this part " for 6ppc and 30BR? I'll be using 1.250, 1.350 and 1.450 straight contour barrels"
Dick

I felt my answer was as hypothetical as the original question.
None of those barrels would be used in competition anyway, well, not LV and HV.

Francis,
Ron is shooting UBR matches in Unlimited Class. With the 1.45 barrel the rifle weighs about 70 lbs. His original 30BR barrel was intended to be 30" to try and gain some velocity. Due to a couple of mistakes it was cut somewhat shorter and then found to be defective. He is trying to decide how long to order the replacement barrel from Kreiger. Does that make the question clearer?

Rick

I am thinking of building one for 100-300 yard Score Shooting and will start with a 24" and 1:17 twist.

Bob

My best 30BR barrel ever is now down to about 20 1/4 inches, and shoots just as good as it did when it started out t about 22 1/2. The velocity seems about the same as well, which leads me to believe that with the standard 35.0 grn load of 4198 I shoot with a 112 grn bullet, it's all done in about 19 inches.

I believe Jackie is right, more length is mostly just added weight.

Dick...

I believe Jackie is right, more length is mostly just added weight.

years ago Pete thought he would experiment with a long barrel chambered in .30 BR. We shot over my Oehler chrono at Barry's one calm cool Spring afternoon. He was shooting H4198 as I recall and he started to add more powder by .2 gr increments. As he went up in powder somewhere around 36 gr the velocity started to drop off noticeably. Not sure why but the chrono didn't lie. He cut the barrel back to 22"

Back