Barrel Length and Diameter for BR ?

Is there a "preferred" barrel length and diameter for a rim-fire bench rest rifles ?

bigh,

I'm going to tell you one truth and one theory.

The barrel should be cut at it's smallest, roundest place, weather that is 22 inches or 26 inches or any place in between. Don't want much shorter or the barrel may be ammo sensitive.

It's hard to get much longer because most blanks are 28 inches and you have to cut both ends to get rid of tool marks and deformities.

Diameter, this is all theory. Centerfire barrels are thought to be better the thicker they are within reason. Rimfire barrels not so much.

Some believe rimfire barrels are easier to tune if they are between .850 and .900. You rarely see a custom rimfire barrel larger than .920.

One last thing, reverse tapered barrels seems to support the need for rimfire barrels to flex.

TKH

Tony is pretty much spot on, I would say most finished barrels rarely shorter than 24” with many 25”-26”.
My own take on RT barrels, they have largely fallen out favor from the Billy Myers period because many found them tougher to tune, whatever benefit they may yield, I had a couple.
Now some will correctly state that the majority of IR sporters are, in fact, RT barrels behind that lug but the best smiths really fine tune that lug as to dimension and back bore.

[QUOTE HOW DUE YOU TUNE A RIMFIRE BARREL
OTHER THAN CHANGE AMMO.=tonykharper;847427]bigh,

The barrel should be cut at it's smallest, roundest place, weather that is 22 inches or 26 inches or any place in between. Don't want much shorter or the barrel may be ammo sensitive.

It's hard to get much longer because most blanks are 28 inches and you have to cut both ends to get rid of tool marks and deformities.

Diameter, this is all theory. Centerfire barrels are thought to be better the thicker they are within reason. Rimfire barrels not so much.

Some believe rimfire barrels are easier to tune if they are between .850 and .900. You rarely see a custom rimfire barrel larger than .920.

One last thing, reverse tapered barrels seems to support the need for rimfire barrels to flex.

TKH[/QUOTE]

[QUOTEDOES RIM FIRE HAVE ENOUGH POWDER TO
FEX A BARREL
=BillBrawand;847430][QUOTE HOW DUE YOU TUNE A RIMFIRE BARREL

TKH[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTEWHOES BARREL SHOT THE 750 WITH
60 X S. THAT SHOT THAT CONSISTENT AND WHAT AMMO.BillBrawand;847431][QUOTEDOES RIM FIRE HAVE ENOUGH POWDER TO
FEX A BARREL

TKH[/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTEMANY YRS AGO I CHAMBERED A 22
CENTERFIRE BARREL IN A RIMFIRE CHAMBER
AND SHOT LIKE HOUSEFIRE BILL MYERS WHACHED ME SHOOT
IT SOME TIME LATER BILL CALLED ME AND SAID HE HAD DONE SAE THIG HIS FIRST 10 SHOOT WAS IN THE
ONESS MY BARREL I HAD PUT ON RAIL GGUN OF
YOUNGS=BillBrawand;847432][QUOTEWHOES BARREL SHOT THE 750 WITH
60 X S. THAT SHOT THAT CONSISTENT AND WHAT AMMO.BillBrawand;847431][QUOTEDOES RIM FIRE HAVE ENOUGH POWDER TO
FEX A BARREL

TKH[/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

[QUOTEMANY YRS AGO I CHAMBERED A 22
CENTERFIRE BARREL IN A RIMFIRE CHAMBER
AND SHOT LIKE HOUSEFIRE BILL MYERS WHACHED ME SHOOT
IT SOME TIME LATER BILL CALLED ME AND SAID HE HAD DONE SAE THIG HIS FIRST 10 SHOOT WAS IN THE
ONESS MY BARREL I HAD PUT ON RAIL GGUN OF
YOUNGS=BillBrawand;847432][QUOTEWHOES BARREL SHOT THE 750 WITH
FEX A BARREL

TKH
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Bill, I think you are asking what barrel and ammo was used to shoot the 750 60 Xs this past weekend.

If so, here is the answer.

The Sporter: 7.5 lbs rifle with 6.5X scope has a Shilen ratchet barrel. (250 20Xs)

The 10.5 lb rifle has an 8 groove Muller barrel. 250 (19Xs) . I shot the same rifle in the 13.5 lb class. (250 21Xs)

The same lot number of Midas Plus was used in all rifles.

Just wish I had more of that ammo.

TKH

bigh,

TKH

From a tuning perspective, it doesn't matter..rf or cf..the same physics applies. A less stiff barrel vibrates at a lower frequency. Frequency is just a fancy word for, it further between nodes but that also means nodes are wider. Nothing to do with where the primer compound resides. RF and CF are more alike than they are different. There are pros and there are cons to barrel stiffness and there is a point of diminishing returns. That's why nobody shoots hunting weight barrels in br, be it rf or cf. That and the better heat sink qualities of a heavier barrel.

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE][/QUOTE] THANKS THAT WAS SURE GREAT SHOOTING KEEP IT UP

Bill, I think you are asking what barrel and ammo was used to shoot the 750 60 Xs this past weekend.

If so, here is the answer.

The Sporter: 7.5 lbs rifle with 6.5X scope has a Shilen ratchet barrel. (250 20Xs)

The 10.5 lb rifle has an 8 groove Muller barrel. 250 (19Xs) . I shot the same rifle in the 13.5 lb class. (250 21Xs)

The same lot number of Midas Plus was used in all rifles.

Just wish I had more of that ammo.

TKH[/QUOTE] TONY KEEP ITUP I GET RID OF BED SORES I HOPE TO SHOOT SOME RIMFIRE I DONT KNOW HOW COMPETIVE MT GUNS ARE AFTER 20 YRS.

Back