Barrel Contour

M

maltbuck

Am new to BCF, and based in UK.
Help required please!

Putting a F/TR rifle together, based on a Borden Alpine non-ejector action, with a McMillan Tooley MBR or McMillan Prone stock.

Barrel choice will probably be a krieger, bartlein or shilen, finished at 28in. My question is what is the best contour for the barrel?

Advice gratefully received.

Regards

MB

MB,

A few more details might help.

However, assuming that you're talking .308, you might consider going to a longer barrel, as long as you can stay within weight with the balance of the components. I use standard TR barrels in my rifle (the current one is a 1:13" 29½" Maddco) because I favour the better 155 grain projectiles & can get an unstressed 2950 fps out of that length tube.

If you intend to use heavier projectiles, you would need to rethink the twist rate & get local advice.

In any case, weigh all of the other components you plan to hang on the action, add a bit of oh, dear for unforseen contingencies & see how much weight is left for you to play with barrelwise. All the reputable manufacturers list the weight of each of their profiles for just this purpose.

I must admit though that since the advent of the new super 155s (Sierra, Berger & BJD along with Lapua), length isn't quite the consideration that it was. Over here, there is a school that favours shorter stiffer tubes, but once you review the results, it would seem that success is not specifically dependent on equipment choice as long as quality components are used.

John

F/S Class.308or.223

Help required please!

Putting a F/TR rifle together, based on a Borden Alpine non-ejector action, with a McMillan Tooley MBR or McMillan Prone stock.

Barrel choice will probably be a krieger, bartlein or shilen, finished at 28in. My question is what is the best contour for the barrel?

Advice gratefully received.

Regards

MB
G'Day MB. i use No 7 profile in .308 1X14" Twist30"Long on a Musgrave it weighs about 7.5KG and have a Remington 700 Sleeved with a .308 1X14 Twist 28" long and it just makes the weight limit with a Night Fotce8X32 BR scope its a few grams under 8KGMax weight,i am going to order another .308 1X14 30" but it is going to be fluted for the Remington. My barrels are MADDCO.Bruce

Thanks for the replies, calibre is .308, and will be 1 in 12, using 155-168g Scenar/Berger.

Regards

MB

Help required please!

Mate, "best" cannot be furnished by your audience; it's up to you to gauge. Factors to consider would be overall weight of the rig and to a lesser extent, balance point.

Some might think a 1.250" straight is "best". Others might think a "light" Palma taper rates "best".

Cheers.

Back