Barrel Attachment of Tuners

jackie schmidt

It seems therre is a big panic about threading the end of barrels. More of those who don't trying to convince those who do that what they are doing does not work, even though those that do show that it does work. (How's that for an analysis).:D
Anyway, the reason I insist on using a threaded barrel is because I use a one piece tuner. It is on the barrel with 2 inches in length of 36 tpi.
In my opinion, a one piece tuner is superior to two piece tuners. The main thing is with a one piece tuner, you use the entire weight of the tuner to tune the barrel, hence you can make the assembly lighter, a big consideration when trying to keep a Rifle at 10.5 pounds. There is no wasted weight.
I have some other ideas on this, but I can't prove them, other than my Rifles shoot reasonably well, so I won't go into that.
If some of the recent post on this subject has you scared silly about threading the end of a barrel, then by all means figure out something that works as well so you can get some sleep at nights.
As for me, I will just keep muddling along.
Oh, by the way. I broke in a new barrel on my Sporter today, and I tuned it in, with my tuner, in about four 3-shot groups. In the afternoon, it got a little ragged, and a 1/4 turn brought it right back.
Maybe if the end of that barrel wasn't threaded, it would have stayed put.:rolleyes:...........jackie

Blastphemer

Jackie:

Shame on you. You're talking anti-calf. Das ist verbotten. :D

Mike
S@@T Stirrer
Marcelli

threaded tuner

Why couldn't a person backbore the muzzle with a 1/2 " boring bar about a inch or two and thread that part of the barrel for weight adjustment. No threads cut around the rifling part of the barrel,Or would turbulance from the powder burn throw the shot. Just a thought RANDY

I do not do benchrest, but have a threaded brake on my 30br..

Someone here suggested throwing the brake and using the threads for a tuner..

Then I start reading about giving up accuracy when threading a muzzle..

So then I was debating cutting it off, and just go with a crown..

Started getting dizzy from turning in circles..:eek:

Since I do not compete, maybe I'll just "muddle along" with Jackie..:D

On the serious side though. With my type of shooting at this time. The fractional help of a tuner probably wouldn't be of any definate, black and white benefit..

But.... I do know this muzzle brake does make a very "different" type of sound.. And I already have the threads on there.. And I do like to play with things.. So, I'll probably be trying one in the future..... By that time, I may really want to be on the top end..

"Which of course would force me to get rid of the threads" :D

In all actuallity, I could never hope to be able to just "muddle along" in Jackie's ranks.. Just reading, and playing..

Standing by.. Kelly

Kelly

You don't always have to make a choice between a brake and a tuner.

IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2045.jpg

Shelley,

Great place to use the 1/2# additional wgt. now allowed by PA 1k rules.

Jay

Damn Shelly,

You always come up with the neatest looking doodads! Hope it shoots for you and I would love to see you win a tournament with it...can you imagine the requests for them then. Course, some would want a clamp on model.

Jim

It seems therre is a big panic about threading the end of barrels. ..jackie
If you will search back you will find I threaded several barrels, none of which were negatively effected by threading. The barrels were tested by shooting and lead slugging before and after. In the 2005 season in IBS the only way we had to even tune was with a threaded barrel since we had a maximum diameter limit for the tuner itself of the max diameter of the HV barrel profile..

What is right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy
Friend Lynn:

If threading the muzzle distorts the bore and hurts accuracy, how come one can install a muzzle brake and not hurt accuracy, or, even sometimes increase accuracy?

My friend, I just "gots" to know the "why's" about stuff.....when I installed my first muzzle brake, I took the gun to the range, before installing the brake, tested it by shooting groups, saved the test target then went to the shop and threaded the muzzle and fit the brake.

I then returned to the range and re-tested, without the brake installed. The gun shot noticeably worse......I then installed the brake and the gun shot as good, or maybe slightly better, than it had originally.....

See Lynn, I felt threading the muzzle surly has some affect on accuracy...the only way I could know for sure was to take the time to test, as I just described above...

I have only fit a hand full of muzzle brakes....not my line of work...but, I've taken the time to run the above test every time I fit one....usually with the same results...

The last brake I fit was on a 300 RUM....for a buddy I used to work with...he came to the shop, we went to the range, set up a target and I sat down at the bench to shoot 3, 5-shot groups.....I only fired one round....I let Mike, my buddy, shoot the rest....that was the worst kicking gun I think I ever fired.... no wonder he wanted a muzzle brake...

We went to the shop, machined the barrel for the brake, then ruturned and re-tested...first without the brake installed....Mike did the shooting...after his first group he looked at me.....shook his head....the gun wouldn't shoot in a bucket.....

I screwed on the brake.....Mike shot again....the gun went back to shooting about like it had before the brake was installed....to Mike's relief...oh, I shot the thing with the brake installed....was like shooting a .243...

Lynn.....a muzzle brake is just a non-adjustable muzzle device, (tuner).....a tuner is so valuable in increasing accuracy, that the benefit outweighs the damage caused by threading the muzzle.....this is the dirty little secret about muzzle brakes....

I want the whole pie Lynn.......I ain't about to give up half of the possible gain from a muzzle device, (tuner) by threading my muzzles.....especially when there is an alternative......

If the world don't end, there will be an alternative shortly...

Your friend, Bill Calfee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySharrett
If you will search back you will find I threaded several barrels, none of which were negatively effected by threading. The barrels were tested by shooting and lead slugging before and after. In the 2005 season in IBS the only way we had to even tune was with a threaded barrel since we had a maximum diameter limit for the tuner itself of the max diameter of the HV barrel profile..

OK. Which is right.
Mr Sherrett. You do not detail what if any diff this made in accuracy if any.
Mr. Calfee. Has proven to himself any way that it does.

Has any one else run these tests to be able to see any difference?

Jackie

In your support we have been installing muzzle breaks on 600 & 1000 yd. rifles for a long time. I have never seen or heard of any accuracy issues. In theory it's probably better not to thread the barrel but the reality is you can't see it on the target. I've never seen theory measured in the scoring shed.

Dave

Since everybody has a theory I have one too.
Our buddy Mr. C. made a name for himself in the rimfire world. One major difference between 22 RF and a PPC could be simple pressure. A 22 RF burns up it’s little charge quickly and begins to slow down after about 15-16” of barrel length with little, something like 1200 lb., of barrel pressure. A PPC is still gaining velocity in a 21” barrel and has something around 15K lbs. of barrel pressure. Add also that a 22RF has almost 4X the barrel residence time.

If the mythical growing bore does exist (maybe the rifling unscrews itself too but don’t go there!) at such a small dimension that a .0001 bore gage shows no changed reading - might any effect on accuracy be cartridge and not mechanically significant? As an engineer it doesn’t work out well to relate a decelerating lead slug to an accelerating jacketed bullet.

But then maybe if we used left hand threads the bore would tighten! Blanket statements that go against the experience, training and testing of the Benchresters here are wearing a bit thin. Until our friend proves us all wrong I fear he wasted the part of his life he took to run his “experiment”.
Gary

Rewinder - recessed muzzle

Is this what you had in mind? ;)

Sam

Attachments

• IMG_0913_1_1.JPG
    IMG_0913_1_1.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_0916_1.JPG
    IMG_0916_1.JPG
    83.4 KB · Views: 549
Since everybody has a theory I have one too.
Our buddy Mr. C. made a name for himself in the rimfire world. One major difference between 22 RF and a PPC could be simple pressure. A 22 RF burns up it’s little charge quickly and begins to slow down after about 15-16” of barrel length with little, something like 1200 lb., of barrel pressure. A PPC is still gaining velocity in a 21” barrel and has something around 15K lbs. of barrel pressure. Add also that a 22RF has almost 4X the barrel residence time.

If the mythical growing bore does exist (maybe the rifling unscrews itself too but don’t go there!) at such a small dimension that a .0001 bore gage shows no changed reading - might any effect on accuracy be cartridge and not mechanically significant? As an engineer it doesn’t work out well to relate a decelerating lead slug to an accelerating jacketed bullet.

But then maybe if we used left hand threads the bore would tighten! Blanket statements that go against the experience, training and testing of the Benchresters here are wearing a bit thin. Until our friend proves us all wrong I fear he wasted the part of his life he took to run his “experiment”.
Gary

Others have tried to point out the significant differences between centerfire and rimfire but Mr. C does not appear willing to acknowledge a difference when it comes to the barrel attachment subject.

Don

Shoots good, still have some testing to do on the actual tuning.

Forend, just an expirement to raise the ride point as near to the centerline of the barrell as possible!!!

tuner threads

Yes, Sam that is what I was trying to describe We haven't seen or heard of that style of tuner . Its just a threaded barrel muzzle with a recessed crown with threaded weights that does not effect the rifling bore of the barrel RANDY

Tuff, TX

Shelley, A picture of my home town.

Tuff, TX

ATT00277.jpg

Things have been a little slow at the store lately.

Back