Barnard Palma FINISHED

Chuck,

I don't do any plating/coating/bluing other than a little parkerizing here. Just not set up for it. My intentions are to begin once the move into the new building starts. I'll have a seperate little shed just for cooking parts.

The fixtures I have are indeed nice. I built these in 2003/04 while working for Nesika/Dakota Arms. I was fortunate to purchase them back from the company last spring. Saved me a ton of work! My equipment is shown on the website under the "about us" page. Nothing overly fancy. Just a VMC and two slant bed turning centers.

The tools and stuff are a luxury, no doubt. What I've really tried to focus on though is the order of operations. It'd be a bit silly to take a fresh case, fill it with powder, then stick a primer in it along with a bullet and finally attempt to resize it. It's just backwards.

I insist on inletting all my own stocks. I don't like having to worry about trigger wells or magazine wells being masked off when bedding a gun. I hate doing it as it never seems to work or deliver the final presentation I'm pursuing. So I do it last after bedding. Just easier for me.

That's really the only big secret. Everything else is just a matter of lots of practice and the experience gained from it. Knowing what tool, how fast/hard to push it, and how one can/can't machine wood/fiberglass. I've certainly fuggered up my share of bedding jobs. A few have even resulted in stocks being reduced to kindling in order to get the action back out of it. (That sucks when it's a $1k+ Anschutz 1913 3p stock that takes 4 months to get!) Fortunately, that hasn't happened in a long, long time.

Practice, practice, practice. . .

Thanks for the kind words.

C

Last edited by a moderator:
Back