Barnard action for short-range LV?

lojak

At 48oz, the Barnard P action isn't by any means light, but being a Canadian, it is easier and less expensive to obtain than a US made action. So, rather than be reckless with my hard-earned dollars, I'm curious if there is any precedent for using such a heavy action in short-range LV?

Thanks,

-- Stephen

Stephen

The typical Benchrest Action will weigh about 33 ounces. That is 15 ounces you are going to have to loose somewhere else. The barrel is the usual candidate.

I can't see it happenning, unless you are willing to go with a really skinny barrel profile. Heck, I cut the standard LV Krieger with practically no straight at all at 21 inches, and they still weigh 76 ounces.

Anything might be possible, and I understand your problem up in Canada. But 15 ounces is a lot to shed on a typical Rifle, and still have what would be a viable Benchrest Rifle.

In short, LV and Sporter are two specific weight restricted classes, (10.5 pounds), that have had specific equipment developed for use in these Rifles. While the action in question is a fine action, I doubt it was ever intended to be used as a building block for a legal LV or Sporter., ........jackie

Last edited:
Stephan,
If memory serves me correctly (beacuse I can't get to the info right now) the Barnard is a three or four lug action. That is going to give a stiffer opening force on the bolt than a two lug action, and could cause unwanted movement of the rifle in the bags. You are also going to be challenged to find a trigger that would go as low as a typical BR trigger. I do think that the standard trigger can go under a pound with the right springs. In addition to the weight issue, this action is at a disadvantage for BR, but makes an excellent LR rifle. I was in process of buying a Barnard action for a Palma gun when an RPA2000 rifle was offered by the seller for little more and is the only reason I don't have one.
Greg

Stephen,

Barnards are very popular in the UK. Start off with the Barnard S action rather than the P. The S is Remmy profile so lighter but it is still a very stiff action.

Still three-lug and can be had in right/left bolt/port configuration.

You can reduce cocking force by shortening the firing-pin spring.

Cheers
Vince (UK)

go to benchrest.ca

some of the guys there actually shoot br and compete,
BAT and stiller actions are available in canada,
and by the way, barnard is thinking of doing a BR action as an experiment, the usa importer and I have spoken together,

Jefferson

Good to hear Barnard will be offering something that is operationally comparable with the features which are considered standard in the sport. Jeff did they happen to give an ETA?

more info

not sure I suggested that they would be offering anything,
they are being asked and are thinking of doing something,
they have not gotton back to me with any decision on my thoughts to the usa importer, and he has not called me back either,

I can tell folks I (like others may have) recommended
1. light as possible 30-35 oz
2. loading port sizes
3. right bolt left port right eject
4. current action threads, i.e. panda bat (why cause I aint chambering 6 or more barrels to find something that works and then selling scrap iron off)
5. hoped to get it ready for 2010 season in a stock but have not heard back,
not that important to me, just offered once he wanted my thoughts on it, I called to discuss other importations not barnard,

and Ian from New Zealand may know more, feel free to contact him directly, as a BR shooter of some reknown they may have contacted him for input, as I have not heard from Ian since Vienna (he finished 4th, I not so lucky)

Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
At 48oz, the Barnard P action isn't by any means light, but being a Canadian, it is easier and less expensive to obtain than a US made action. So, rather than be reckless with my hard-earned dollars, I'm curious if there is any precedent for using such a heavy action in short-range LV?

Thanks,

-- Stephen

Barnard S action= 40 oz.

Barnard SM action= 38 oz.

Either would be doable.

Hello Jeff

I know Tony Titheridge has talked to them at Barnard about making a BR action, but as yet nobody knows if they have done anything. The S action is a singleshot designed as a Remington replacement and the SM is the same action with a magazine cutout. At 40oz for the S and 38 for the SM they are both a bit heavy in my opinion. The Barnard action is also 3 lug and a bit stiffer than my BAT or Panda to open

I know you can request bolt and port configuration and I think also request 18tpi instead of the 16tpi they usually come with.

In my opinion if they could bring out an action in the 30 - 35oz range with 18tpi and a choice of port/bolt/eject configuration, BR style tang and a bit easier to open (less disruption in the bags) then they would have a winner. Mostly because it is getting so much harder to jump through the hoops to get actions out of the USA.......plus for me no export/import permits required. I think the USA is shooting itself in the foot and going to kiss goodbye to a lot of export dollars with the firearm export laws.

We already have good barrels available in NZ.......now all we need are good actions....:D

Back