Bald eagle rest

I don,t think it is a matter of which one is better. The cast iron is heavier and has a narrower foot print. One has a cable drive and can be taken off and a bolt/ shaft used to adjust the wind-age. I think a heavier rest is a better option. I believe for @200.00 you can the cast iron base with a cable drive and go from there.
They are not a bad rest to start with. Maybe you can get with a veteran shooter at your home range and talk to them about it.

John

As was stated they're decent rests for the money. There are plenty of others out there as well. Like one of the guys right here in our own back yard
http://www.drgreenlawmachining.com/home
I've got one of the E rests & although I swithched to a Randolph I like it very much & still find myself using it a lot.

Also, looks like you've chosen CF over RF?

Keith

i plan to do both.i picked up a couple of 22 rifles to play with,a 1926 winchester 52, a vostok cm2 target and a mossberge 144lsb.
i think i might get this one
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Rest-Slingshot-Cast-Iron/BE1006

Check out rimfire central as there is a few threads on modifications to these. All pretty simple to do & I think they'll be a must for you to get the full potential out of these rests.
Not sure if you'll be getting into some of the sanctioned matches here in NE but you're going to have a tough time truly competing with those rifles. Been there, done that". I had fun doing it & learning though. And I liked it well enough to invest in better equipment.
Sending you a pm.

Keith

Last edited:
the cast Iron rest

doesn't have the windage adjustable top, something imo you want. I'm sure it can be had that way. Best to come to a match and look around at rests before you commit. April 10 at LCRC in Damariscotta or the .22 rimfire match at LCRC on 3/20. Probably more rests at the April match, but I see you have a Win 52 so come on and join us in March too.

Heed Francis' advice. If he hadn't spent his career as a pimp, I'm sure he would have made a wonderful priest!

The slingshot was brought out by Bill Gebhardt to satisfy the needs of those who shot off narrower benches. He also drilled and tapped a fourth hole in the left front leg of the wider rest so one could place the rest closer to the left edge of the bench. This is an option if you get the wider rest and then find you prefer to be closer to the edge. I can send you a picture. I suppose a left hander could do the same to the right front leg. I prefer the cast iron over aluminum as it tends to move less. The same can be said of the wider over the slingshot. Some complain that there is a bit of backlash in the windage cable. You should get many opinions on the internet but until you've had a chance to actually try some of what is available the most important opinion hasn't been voiced. Yours.

I want a picture, please, as long as you're not pimping.

Dan

By all means get the cast Iron. I have my third Bald Eagle rest out in the Garage I keep it as a loaner. Slingshot or regular, windage top or not, go with cast iron. I had an aluminum, it was better for my aching back but not for my shooting.
Dick

Slingshot

Got the alloy slingshot last year,think I played $165.
Ditch the cable,too much back lash.
Turned windage top 180,replaced cable with a carburetor bolt same thread as the cable.Fitted a Edgwood bag and longer bag screws.
Shoots as good as my mk1 sinclair rest.
Deal of the decade.

I have the cast iron slingshot style and it works well. I found that the backlash in the cable on mine was a result of the cable flexing when the knob was turned. As an experiment, I bolted a stiff bar under the cable using the existing hole for the cable mount on the rest and added a couple of flex ties to hold the cable to the bar so it wouldn't flex...backlash gone. I will probably change it to the carb bolt mod later, but this was a quick fix and I just haven't got around to changing it yet.

a plastic tote

of appropriate size to carry the front rest, rear bag and any elbow bags you might use.

Bald Eagle rest

This is a great rest for the price, i got mine on sale for about $160? The aluminum one is more than adequate for rim fire use. I would recommend buying some of the round foot pads that go under the three leveling screw spike feet, the rubber backing adds a lot of stability/grip. Ditch the windage cable, it's too mushy and doesn't hold zero. I took a piece of 5/16-24 threaded rod and made a new screw; take that nice aluminum handle off the adjusting cable, run a 5/16-24 tap in it, and loctite your new piece of threaded rod into it. If your local hardware store doesn't stock the fine thread 5/16-24 rod, it can be had from Fasten-All or MSC, i paid $3 for 3 feet. The reason i didn't just use a bolt is i don't think you can buy one with 2 1/2" of actual thread.

No, but you could thread a 3" bolt and just cut off what you need.

In centerfire br, front rest WEIGHT is your friend....heavy is good.

This is a great rest for the price, i got mine on sale for about $160? The aluminum one is more than adequate for rim fire use. I would recommend buying some of the round foot pads that go under the three leveling screw spike feet, the rubber backing adds a lot of stability/grip. Ditch the windage cable, it's too mushy and doesn't hold zero. I took a piece of 5/16-24 threaded rod and made a new screw; take that nice aluminum handle off the adjusting cable, run a 5/16-24 tap in it, and loctite your new piece of threaded rod into it. If your local hardware store doesn't stock the fine thread 5/16-24 rod, it can be had from Fasten-All or MSC, i paid $3 for 3 feet. The reason i didn't just use a bolt is i don't think you can buy one with 2 1/2" of actual thread.

Back