Bad Factory Barrel

A friend brought to me a barrel (30-inch heavy barrel) he wanted cut back and recrowned. I put the borescope in the barrel and said WOW who did this.
He said I just bought it new to shoot factory F class (6BR) and only have 30 rounds through it. Best I can get group-wise is about 3½inches. I said to him he should just send it back. No just cut it off and recrown it. I did so cutting off about 3½ inches and ask to save the cut-off part of the barrel, which I cut in half to get a better view of the bore. WHAT A MESS the crown has a big burr on each and every rifling and the bore inside has been glass beaded insde when the factory did the beading on the outside of the barrel, not sure what the heck caused all the damage to the inside of the bore from about 1 to 3½ inches back from the muzzle. The pictures below are of the cut off barrel cut in half to show what it looked like.

The one picture shows the very end (crown) with the red arrow showing the big burr on each rifling the green shows the glass beading inside the bore from the crown to about 1 inch back. The second picture shows the inside of the bore damage, I have know idea what would of cause this much damage.

Chet

crown 2a.jpg barrel damage 2.JPG

Last edited:
Just a guess but if whoever Bead Blasted the outside put Steel Hooks in the bore to hold it while blasting and those Hooks had rough saw cuts on the ends I could imagine that kind of damage. David

Import barrel or American made and if the later there is no excuse for it going out the door. By chance do you happen to know made the barrel? If so it should be mad very well known there is just no excuse for letting this type of work out the door.

Back