Back to the borescope

J

JRLesan@embarqm

Have decided on a borescope for a Christmas present. Someone mentioned an adjustable focus, but all I find in the various descriptions is the ability to adjust the focus on all models. Will someone with the Gradient lens AEP version please clarify. Several visits to the Gradient website leaves me more confused. Also, seems to be some price disparity between different suppliers with BSS coming in as the least cost. Suggestions?

I have never looked through a Hawkeye scope. Are you looking straight ahead, or down at an angle? Brownell's now has quite a listing of the scopes'. I did'nt realize they can now be had in much longer lenght's.

That 90 degree eyepiece would be a nice feature. With my scopes' you have to have the barreled action out of the stock to look at the chamber end as the stock is in the way. One thing I have learned is to keep a close eye on anyone that wants to look down one of these scopes as the are very fragile. It seems that most people, when they draw the scope out of the barrel while looking through it have a tendency to bend it. Mine only measure's .l625 in diameter, and it would not take much to put a kink in it.

Because of the diameter of the 90 degree eyepiece coupling to the regular eyepiece, you may find that you can't get the scope parallel to the bore, and be limited as to how far you can go down the breech end of a barrel with the barreled action in a high combed stock. Nevertheless, I recommend the eyepiece. For benchrest barrels that are off their actions, I like to line the Vs of my Davidson barrel vise with masking tape, and insert the barrel so that it is balanced in the vise with the assembly positioned with the barrel parallel to the front of my desk, and six to eight inches back from the edge. This works out pretty well for handling the scope, and ease of viewing. The vise is only light finger tight, an the vise is not clamped to the desk. Just remember, when looking at bores, ugly and pretty are as they do....on the target, and that you might not want to look at your favorite barrel at all ;-)

Boyd: I have had more than one person who did not want to look down the bore of their rifle. If I don't look, or talk about it, maybe it will go away.

I don't think anyone has really answered your question yet, so here goes. I recently researched this same issue and found Bruno Shooters Supply to have the best prices.

http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=BSS&Category_Code=6

They have several options available as you can see from this link. Because I could not afford the adjustable focus eyepiece or the right angle adapter, I bought the basic 17" model for $578.99. I figured that my eyes were not going to change, so I could just set the focus once and I would be fine. Well, it worked, kinda. If you can afford it (about $300 more), definitely get the adjustable focus and the right angle eyepiece adapter. I can see the entire barrel without it, but it's kind of a pain trying to get your eye on the eyepiece over the comb of a stock, and on some of the high comb stocks it would not be possible. You will want to change focus when going from viewing straight down the bore to looking at the sides of the bore, and the adjustable focus makes that nice.

I will repeat one word of caution I saw mentioned already in this thread, and that is that the tube on the borescope is filled with solid glass rods to enhance light transmission. If you bend the scope very much, you will break them. Breakage is not covered by warranty, and there is a flat $240 repair charge. It can withstand very slight bending like you get during normal insertion and extraction from a bore, but NEVER leave the scope in the barrel when the gun is not securely positoned. I found out the hard way what happens if the gun falls over with the scope in the bore.

To help w/those 'scopes and their safety...........

get some Delrin and turn down a piece about 6-8 inches long, 'til it fits the receiver well, then drill it just 6-10 thousands over 'scope tube diameter, and you have a 'scope guide that should preclude any collisions when going in the breech end. Accidents do happen....

And you may want to have one for each tube diameter you use.

I can see the entire barrel without it, but it's kind of a pain trying to get your eye on the eyepiece over the comb of a stock, and on some of the high comb stocks it would not be possible. You will want to change focus when going from viewing straight down the bore to looking at the sides of the bore, and the adjustable focus makes that nice.

Happened to check email Thursday evening and found Sinclair to have the AEP version on sale for $930.00 (or therabouts) plus 10% off for the weekend which beats out BSS by twenty or so dollars. Thanks for all the help and I will turn a bore guide come Christmas or the day after.

Back