Article about the 22 CHeetah

The .224 cheatta mk1 is a great cartridge had one very shortly after read about in outdoor life. But had one made in 6mm 14 twist was a increadible varmit rifle. Used 243 brass large primer 4350 powder 60 to 80 grn. bullets gun would really shoot.

Why not try some Lapua 308 Palma brass, it has the SP and much better quality than the REM brass.

Matt P

22 Cheeetah I

I have a Cheetah Mark I that works very well for me. I got it in 1998. It was built shortly after the article came out in Outdoor Life. I figured out why the original owner sold it. I tried the loads that were recommended and could not find anything that would keep the group in under a Rock Chuck at 300 yards. After 3 weeks of experimenting I put it aside and did not try again for a year.

When I started over, I found that I had a bit better luck using 243 Win brass and large primers. The groups were still more of a pattern though. Back in the safe it went again.

About 2 years later, I thought I would give it one more try. I had been doing some burn rate comparisons and found the N135 was in the ball park compared to some of the powders that had been recommended. I also thought that if I were to expect speed and accuracy I had better use a bullet that had been accurate in other venues so I grabbed a box of 52gr. Berger BR Moly coated bullets and head out to the range. My first group with this really fast load was 5/8". It was a little hot; 4300 fps.

I mellowed it down a little and ended up with a load that is 4100 fps and seems to shoot 1/2" consistantly. This rifle is now my 300 yard and in Rock Chuck rifle and at closer ranges the hydrolics produce devastating results on those hay munchers. A friend of mine called it a cheater instead on a Cheetah; he said the bullet gets there before the rifle goes off. He had to have one himself.

I almost gave up on the Cheetah but am glad I stayed with it.

Ron

I built a MKI in the mid 80's. Using a Shilen 27" 1-16 twist barrel. Had hang fire problems at first, but once I worked out head space while forming the cases the problem went away. I used Remington BR Basic brass with Remington 7-1/2 BR primers. With a load of 4064 I exceeded 4400 FPS with a 50 gr bullet. A friend re-chambers a Remington in 22-250 and had lots of problems with pressure due to the 1-14 twist factory barrel. Loads he tried would blow primers and blow up bullets, same load worked without a hitch in the 16 twist barrel. If you decide to build a CHeetah talk with the barrel manufacture about the twist, it will make all the difference in how the cartrige response to reloads.

Good Luck, Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
lil64-I see that you found it. Anyway, I have a book "Wildcat Cartridges, Vol 1 & 2"' a 2" thick paperback that covers about everything you've heard of(up to c.1995) There 2 srticles with development, loads, cartridge diagrams,etc on the Cheetah I & 2. If they can be of use to you send me an e-mail. V/R Greg

I had one chambered to the MKII but used the lr primer and didn't have hang fire problems. The best load I ever shot in it was with as much RL 25 as I could stuff in it with 75 A-max for gh hunting or 80 JLK bullets for target. Of course I had almost worn out the barrel before I found the right combo. When I rebarreled I went to a 22 Dasher and haven't looked back.

Glad to see that there are other Cheetah users out there. I am really getting pumped for the spring to arrive to go out and shoot some of the loads that I have made up. I put a 5-20 Monarch Nikon scope on hoping that this will get me the results I have been hoping to get with this cartidge.

Thanks for all of the responses

Jim

Greg

I would love to get the articles that you have on the cheetah. I tried to email you, but the email came back as undeliverable.

Jim

22 CHeetah

I know this is an old post, does anyone have the full article from Outdoor Life, May 1984 they could scan and post. Really hard to read the thumbnail posts.

I know this is an old post, does anyone have the full article from Outdoor Life, May 1984 they could scan and post. Really hard to read the thumbnail posts.

Well, i read it several times and ran tests on 2 guns when the article came out,everything worked as stated,IMR-4064 was the powder of choice,
But had to use remington 71/2 Br primers,and sierra bullets.
I got 1/4 inch groups,it was a thunder on crows and g. hogs,but the muzzle blast is pretty bad.
i tried to find it but i lost the outdoor life mag some place.
Custom benchrest bullets will frag before reaching the target at 4100 fps,i found the 22 Dasher will give almost as much velocity with a lot less powder and barrel life is much longer,i shot 35.5 grains of Varget and a 52 grain bullet in my 22 Dasher and got 3990 fps

Test

Is this any better? If it is I'll do the other pages....didn't seem just right to me.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.pdf
    129.5 KB · Views: 381
Is this any better? If it is I'll do the other pages....didn't seem just right to me.

It's still blotchy and hard to read, I tried running it thru "word" to make it crisper. Don't know what to suggest at this point.
I built a 22-284 so these overbores are interesting to me. Article will be in print this summer in "The Varmint Hunter Magazine". I posted it already on my blog (www.knowyourzero.com)

Thanks

Bob

cheetah velocity record

i have a cheetah reamer and had 6 of them chambered. It is mpstly a stunt gun and was killed off by VLD buulets and their superior performance over the cheetah past 500 yards. With a 28 inch barrel and the small primer cases 760 powder and 35 grain Hornady v maxes got me 4864 fps. My name is Jeff Baker and greg Walley may vouch for me. I set this record at the steubenville Ohio rifle and pistol club with witnesses. If you call Nosler they will tell you Rob Latham's dad of the famous pisto; champ family has broken 5000 fps second with their 40 grain bullet in the .22 -284. The most fun you can have over 4500 fps is to shoot clay pigeons at 200yards. You see them break before you hear the sound of the gun. Its even better with a muzzle break. Greg may have seen me do this.

Back