Are there any ported muzzle brakes that can be contoured down with the barrel?

VaniB

I'm looking for a side ported variety of muzzle brake that can be machined down to about .805" with the contour of a Remington varmint barrel. The narrowest Holland straight "QD Brake" available is .850" diameter and I was told it needs to stay close to about that diameter. So, it's too thick for an .805" barrel, unless I want to settle for a knob hanging off the muzzle.....for which I don't particularly care for the way that thing looks.

Can anybody think of a ported brake I can get my hands on that can be turned down that far?

I have seen some barrels that were actually ported. How about going that route?

I think if a Magna-Port style system was to be put into a hunting rifle that was intended for a couple of hundred shots in its life, that could be a consideration. But I'm not sure I feel comfortable having slots cut directly into a precision brux target barrel with the copper jacketing constantly tearing away at cuts in the barrel lining.

Thanks though for a valid idea.

Nathan Wright at www.muzzlebrakesandmore.com has a .875 that can be turned down to .800

Thanks for the tip. While I would have preferred 90 degree ports instead of ports slanted back at the shooter, that's plenty close enough and inexpensive too. The guy states on that websight that he also purposely designed it to be turned down to the Remington Sendero contour of between . 810" to .830" (that was what I had the biggest difficulty in finding in a side port MB)

But where did you ever find his personal name listed? While his friend Ross Schuler's name and photo is posted on that same websight and who looks to be well known on various forums, this guy looks to try and keep his name secret........and this is name omission and privacy from a guy who wants you to fill out a whole page of contact info for him at that websight before he will even reply to you via email. People are funny, ay?

I am going to order one from harrels on tuesday. I [lan on doing just as you stated. My barrel is a 1.210 straight barrel, and i think the brake will come at 1.250. I am going to install the brake and then turn for a nice straight fit. Why cant you turn the brake you wanted? What was there reason for telling you it cant be turned down? Also if the brake is only .005 bigger than your barrel, that should be a simple fix. Let me know if i can help you out. Lee

I miss read your post. The brake is .850 and your barrel is .805. Still should be an easy fix, unless there is something i am not understanding.

I am going to order one from harrels on tuesday. I [lan on doing just as you stated. My barrel is a 1.210 straight barrel, and i think the brake will come at 1.250. I am going to install the brake and then turn for a nice straight fit. Why cant you turn the brake you wanted? What was there reason for telling you it cant be turned down? Also if the brake is only .005 bigger than your barrel, that should be a simple fix. Let me know if i can help you out. Lee

I miss read your post. The brake is .850 and your barrel is .805. Still should be an easy fix, unless there is something i am not understanding.

Dunno. I just know what the websights are saying, and the folks who are answering the phones and selling them are saying. I feel fortunate to have found that one place who just happens to size them to the Remington Sendero barrel diameter. I'll be sure when I order my barrel that it's diameter is specified to be no less then .810" which the MB maker specifies as the minimum diameter. While it's not the .805 diameter I was looking for, it's still close enough to save me some bulk and heft over the standard Sendero .825" -.830.

BTW.....he also sells larger MB's, but specifies that they shouldn't be turned down. So, there you have it again.

Last edited:
I build my brakes integral with the barrel, just back bore the muzzle .020 oversize then put the barrel in the indexer and drill the ports, it's acually faster and easier than threading the muzzle and reaming the brake, works great too.
Gary Eliseo

You can typically turn any of those brakes down to match the bbl contour, they're advising you not to because you can reduce the effectiveness of the brake and in some case take it so small it weakens the structural integrity of the brake.

I've installed the Harrell tactical brake on Remington varmint contour barres and turned it down to fit the diameter of the barrel. I'd get a 5/8" diameter thread. He normally threads them with a 32 pitch thread and will make them whatever diameter you want.

I've installed the Harrell tactical brake on Remington varmint contour barres and turned it down to fit the diameter of the barrel. I'd get a 5/8" diameter thread. He normally threads them with a 32 pitch thread and will make them whatever diameter you want.

My smith says "Get a 9/16" by 28............ or a 5/8" x 24 if you think you might ever put a supressor on it".

I don't plan on a suppressor. While I'm inclined to follow his advice and not dictate machining details to him that I know nothing about, I'd still like your professional opinion if you think there may be a downside to choosing a 9/16" by 28 thread over say a 5/8x 24, or 5/8 x 32. It's nice for me to have a clue what and why he may be choosing this particular thread. Thanks.

Back