Are muzzle brakes on LGs hard on scopes?

rooshooter

After shooting some hunting rifles recently with muzzle brakes, I have been reminded to look into one for my 1000yd LG again. I remember some talk a few years back when I had one on my varmint gun, that they were supposed to be hard on scopes. The reasoning was that the recoil was supposed to push, back first, then forwards?????

I was looking into a BR legal brake which vents straight out to the side, not backwards, is there any proof that these brakes can be hard on scopes? It is a 284 with 8" twist.

Yes.

Not for the reason described but yes. It's just that RECOIL is hard on scopes and muzzle brakes don't change the damaging recoil that the scope takes.

That said, I'm talking MUZZLE BRAKES! Like big 30's, 338's, 416's and 50's....... I can't see a 284 hurting even the cheapest scope.

al

Alinwa. I have gone through a few scopes with my 284. These were in17lb rifles, but myself and others have fired a few thousand shots on each scope before they let go. I was just hoping that brakes done make it worse as was the story a while back.

In over ten years shooting muzzle brakes on 1,000 and 600 yard guns, I have never had a scope problem using Leupold, Weaver, Sightron and Valdada scopes??? Maybe I have been lucky?
Rich De

What caliber are you using Rich De? I hope it was just an old wives tales which has faded away, as I am keen to use them soon.

These were the 6.5 x .284 Super and several variations of the 6mm BR (BRX, 6-6.5 Lapua, 6X44)
No EARGOSPLITTENLOUDENBOOMERS :)
Rich De

Back