Are Finger Adjustable Scope Turrets Needed In F-Class?

billt

Bill,

What is important in F class are scope adjustments that allow you to crank on as much wind adjustment as needed at the start of the shoot & increments if you need to as the match progresses, then the ability to return to wind zero after you finish in preparation for shooring the next distance. Likewise, you need to be able to adjust the elevation back & forth from the shortest to the longest distance you are shooting with confidence that you've adjusted right on the mark.

If the scope of your choice does not have micrometer type hash marks that will permit you to do this, then forget it. I've seen shooters who have lost track of their adjustments mid tourtnament who are frantically winfing the elevation until it bottoms out, then right back until they get to where they hope will be the correct adjustment.

Look carefully at the scopes you are interested in, handle them & see if they will be capable of doing the job.

John

And

make certain that the tracking is correct; few scopes meet that criteria. Overbore

I spent some time with the new tactical this spring and was very impressed.

Mechanicals were spot on. Repeatable and consistent

You lost a bit of resolution at 24X unfortunately. Still very good optics but not crystal clear.

For F class, I use the ELite 4200 6X24 AO w/mildots as I prefer the 1/8min clicks AND the caps. Nothing worse then having the knobs bumped by someone else and making life real interesting in the next relay.

I find 24X to be plenty mag but some like a whole lot more.

I have not used the 6500 but hope to next season. I have heard that the initial batch didn't have hash marks on the inner stem. Without these, these turrents are no more effective then coin operated ones. You need these hash marks to act like a vernier scale you can tell how many revolutions you have traveled.

I will dial in for a gross windage condition but use the reticle for small changes.

Jerry

I have a 6500 on a .223 that I shoot precision with and like mystic said they are unclear at 24x or higher. The turrets do lack hash marks on the tower.

The 4200 IMO is clearer then the 6500 but lacks the MOA range.

VX III is the better choice of the 3.

I have 1 on a 6 BR and 1 on a 6.5 both are un- shimmed and both get me to 1000.

I believe the MOA is 75 in total.

Sorry, I should have been clear on the model.

They are Varmint Hunters.

8.5 t0 25.

Bill T,

that is what I am using with the Varmint hunter recticle on 2 rigs.

I do like it better than the 6500.

Bob .

Back