ARA Sporter

it may take a year or two but I'll bet shooters who shied away from sporter will become involved.

I doubt a lot of folks will take up sporter shooting, but I hope it is a success and brings more shooters into rimfire BR. Most of the ones who complain and want the rules changed will never shoot a match anyway. They don't want to compete, they use the rules as an excuse not to. They just type and talk. How many out there are at present building an 8.5 sporter class rilfe??

Kent
There is no need to build a 8.5 sporter. This weight allows everyone to use the sporter they have. By increasing the weight to 8.5lb it allows for a heavier high power scope. Whats the big deal? Thanks Fred

I too disagree. I have a Sporter action (52C) but how do I tell Dorothy she can not shoot. I will not build two.

You could always do as they do at Waco and have two relays when not required so some can tag team rifles.

No big deal Cadillac Jack. Like I said, I hope it is successful and brings in more shooters. It's good for the shooting sports to have more folks shooting. But like I also said, most of the folks who say they would shoot if the rules were different, won't.
I'd probably attempt one of them ARA targets with a 6X scope. I used to use them for practice targets with my sporters, and still do now and then. It's tough, but makes you shoot.

We decided to go with ARA Sporter because we had numerous competitors asking us to do that. We had enough requests that I started considering this early this year. Since then, I have have spoken with numerous match directors and competitors to determine how to structure the rules. We took all of the information we had gathered and tried to form a good set of rules to start with. We wanted rules that were easy to enforce and would allow the vast majority of existing sporters to compete as they are currently configured. IR 50/50 has the largest group of sporter shooters and any IR legal sporter will be legal in ARA. We only have a few differences in the rules from IR.
1. Scope power is unlimited
We did this for 3 reasons
a. No way to check the power of a scope
b. Easier for match directors, because they do not have to check it.
c. #1 complaint we heard from current sporter shooters "I can not see with the 6.5X Scope"
2. One-piece rests are allowed of any material
a. We did the 'any material' rule to make it easier on Match Directors for enforcement, and to get rid of the stock tape controversy.
b. Most of the current ARA shooters do not own a front rest
3. 8.5 lbs or under
a. We did this so the IR Sporters could easily change to a high power scope, and make it a little easier on gunsmiths to make weight with the barrels and stocks

We did this because the shooters asked us to do it. We might not have 1 single person shoot it, but it will not be because we did not try.

You will have shooters. Kettlefoot has already made out a full schedule for 2011, so you're off to a good start there.

Dan,
Down here the SSAA have had a sporter type class that has been running for maybe longer than anywhere else in the world, the rules predate fibreglass stocks and tuners so all those types of things are allowed. Basically it’s 7 3/4lbs 2 ¼ stock 6 power scope and everything else is open and it’s a good match and it works down here.

The world body is using the IR50 rules for the world championships next year and from what I see it is very expensive, it costs more to build a sporter to those rules than it costs to build a big gun. What happens here is some do build custom guns but a lot of people just put a bit of weigh on the barrel of a factory rifle and it’s a low cost entry level for a lot of them.

Peter

Back