AR Match Report

Mike,

What bolt do you use? Do you change the buffer, spring or anything else? What length barrel you using on the 30M/AR, what bullets?

Adrian

Adrian, I've used different bolts but prefer the Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel bolt. A 7.62x39 or PPC bolt will work but has a different bolt face depth and is arguably not as strong. Standard AR rifle or carbine buffers work fine. I've built them on 16"- 24" barrels with different gas systems. I've also done them for a wide variety of bullets and have reamers with differing amounts of freebore and neck diameters. I am still trying to determine for myself what the best lightweight bullet is going to be and what powder will be best with them. Lots of variables when it comes to ARs..ie. different bbl length and gas sytems work best with different powders and loads. I shot my 20" lilja barrelled upper with a rifle length gas sytem this weekend with 118 gr. Hillbilly bullets. It shot good when I got enough pressure to it. These ar's don't handle pressure anywhere near our custom bolt guns do though. Suffice it to say that 125 Bergers and h4198 will work well though.--Mike Ezell

How did the AR's score compared to the single shot BR rifles.

Dick

Not even close - Adrian (he meant to the VFS guns)

but they were pretty close to the hunter gun

Dick has the full posting of scores etc on the IBS website

Pretty close???? If you call 10 points back "pretty close".:cool:

AR match report

Thanks for the imput Adrian
I was just wondering how the shooters felt.
The towel idea should work but will they consider it a brass catcher?
It sound s Like a pretty easy way to deflect the brass.
What is that 30 major like a 30 Br? Thanks in advance.

Hey Gerry,

The 30 Major is just a 30 Grendel...an improved PPC.

AR Stuff

I did speak with a number of the other shooters and no one had any issues. One guy gave the ARs a hard time, but he had a smile in his heart. By the end of the day he was joking with us. What I especially liked is that fellow shooters came up and asked about the AR on their own.

The towel works great. The AR rule is that the brass can't leave the shooters bench. That gives the shooter the responsibility to do what ever it takes to make that happen. I do have brass catches that strap onto the forearm and they work just fine. The down side is having to remove them all the time to insert the chamber flag.

Adrian

AR match report

Thanks guys I like the towel idea, may save a hassle for some ARs
Isn't the grendel a 308 bolt face though?. I'll try to look up the case.
Maybe something on 6mmbr.com/
I have 2 AR paltforms a heavy bbl varmint model and the Standard H
Bar models i have built from kits. They shoot pretty well considering.
I have to say they both shot better then my colt model.
A lot had to do with the trigger pull though.
I hope this takes off and good for you guys starting the ball rolling.
I hope it attracts new shooters.

Hey Gerry,
The 30 Major is just a 30 Grendel...an improved PPC.

Yep and that's why it shoots like a house afire. If the AR class makes it, I'll have one built next year. I'd already be doing it, but I have Mike building another 30 Major score rifle for my son.

Greg J.

Last edited:
Isn't the grendel a 308 bolt face though?. I'll try to look up the case..

No. It's a PPC bolt face.

The Grendel is PPC with the shoulder blown forward and necked up to 6.5.

The 30 Major is the 6.5 Grendel necked up to 30 and a couple of minor tweaks.

Mike has all the freebore, bullets, powder, magazine mods, etc. figured out.

Okay guys, here is my solution to the brass catching. My son and I both used them with success Sunday. They are made of 1/2" PVC, about twleve feet worth and a couple of bucks worth of fittings, six square feet of 3/8 aluminum mesh and the cheapest multi colored wire ties Home Depot had. We stuffed an old towel in the gap at the bottom and the brass came to a rest right on it. I didn't glue any of it as the wire ties hold it together and the feet can be moved around to suit whatever bench you are using.

hbh002.jpg

hbh003.jpg

hbh001.jpg

The copyright has been applied for and it has been tentatively called the HBH (Holder Brass Holder) by a wag whose initials are AVG.

Those initials look familiar

Thanks for posting the pics

Back