AR disconnector

tjensen

Am I right in that the spring in the disconnector on AR type triggers is only to lessen the "punch" when the hammer hammer slams against it?
I notice that the AR 7 has a non spring loaded hook for instance.
Thanks.

The disconnector catches the rear hook in the hammer after firing.
upon release of the trigger lever in semi auto mode-
the disconnector hands off the hammer to the sear surface cut into the fwd face of the trigger lever.
Upon trigger take up prior to firing the disconnector does touch the hammer until the sear surface in the trigger lever releases the hammer to fire.

The spring for the disconnector does not cushion hammer operation.

Without the disconnector in a semi auto platform you would have a slam fire/full auto weapon.

The disconnector catches the rear hook in the hammer after firing.
upon release of the trigger lever in semi auto mode-
the disconnector hands off the hammer to the sear surface cut into the fwd face of the trigger lever.
Upon trigger take up prior to firing the disconnector does touch the hammer until the sear surface in the trigger lever releases the hammer to fire.

The spring for the disconnector does not cushion hammer operation.

Without the disconnector in a semi auto platform you would have a slam fire/full auto weapon.

I know how it works, was just thinking like in the AR7 trigger the disconnector is a part of the trigger and works the same way.

If the disconnector didn’t have that spring and was ‘fixed’ the action of the hammer coming back would jump or push the trigger back forward against the trigger finger. The spring and pivot action likely just makes the firing cycle smoother and more reliable. If you crushed the trigger while firing and had a very firm hold on the trigger pull likely you would induce excessive wear on those parts.

Well it's not what I was wondering about. I've allready made a trigger with out the spring after the AR7 trigger and it works fine.
Was just wondering what is gained in having the disconnector spring loaded.

i would take the fist comment as solid, and the second with a large grain of salt.

If you’re referring to my input as the ‘second comment’ please enlighten me how what I stated is inaccurate. I’ve worked on that weapons system for over 25 years and believe I understand it pretty well.

OP,
The AR 7 hammer & trigger are of different configuration than an AR 15/AR 10.

Though possible to eliminate the disconnector spring out of an AR 15 trigger group to configure it as per an AR7 you will eventually have a run away.

Throw in 1 blanked primer & said trigger group will be destroyed on the next BCG cycle.

Back