Anything magical about Anschutz barrels?????

H

hags

It seems I keep hearing never, never, ever cut an Anschutz barrel down. You'll ruin it, is usually the warning.

I especially hear this in reference to their barrels that have a reverse taper barrel or a larger diameter at the muzzle. I guess the traditional wisdom is that this somehow constricts the bore at this area.
This may or may not be how they manufacture all of their match barrels.

It seems all I hear is that the Anschutz have a "choke" and it's always at the muzzle.

But...............why couldn't you slug it and cut at the tightest point, provided it is somewhere else????

You will most likely find that the tight point is right at the crown. If you want to shorten the bbl have it cut at the chamber end and a new chamber reamed.

Tight place will be right at the crown and maybe another the chamber. If you ever slug one, they usually seem like the bullet would wobble down the bore until it catches that choke. The ones I've seen it's amazing they shoot at all. I bought an old 54 for $238 shipped from San Diego I think. I slugged the barrel and figured it was worn out but I didn't care anyway. Guess what? That thing shot pretty good until I got smart and had the barrel changed then it didn't shoot worth a crap. I guess all they really need is a chamber and a two inch barrel, if they could just get the velocity.

annie barrels

wonder why the blob on the end of the barrel? I think it has something to do with barrel vibration. thats why you never cut the front of the barrel.:eek:

I think it creates the choke. Don't cut it down and the bore at that point stays smaller than the rest of the barrel.

Anschutz choke

The bulge at the end of an Anschutz barrel is what forms the 'choke'.
This is because button rifled barrels have stresses in them from the button being pulled (or pushed) through the barrel.
When the outside diameter is then turned down, the internal diameter (the bore) increases fractionally, through the release of these stresses. (As I understand it).
The bore is therefore made tight during the rifling process, and when the outside diameter is turned down to the final size, it opens up slightly. The bulge that is left at the end retains its tight dimension, relative to the rest of the bore, and thus is classed as being 'choked'.

If the barrel is cut down, then you lose this 'choke'.

I appreciate that some barrels may have their choke produced by careful lapping and / or slugging the barrel before chambering, so that you can find any tight spot in the bore to use as the muzzle (if barrel length allows), but the question was about Anschutz barrels.

Walter in England

The bulge at the end of an Anschutz barrel is what forms the 'choke'.
This is because button rifled barrels have stresses in them from the button being pulled (or pushed) through the barrel.
When the outside diameter is then turned down, the internal diameter (the bore) increases fractionally, through the release of these stresses. (As I understand it).
The bore is therefore made tight during the rifling process, and when the outside diameter is turned down to the final size, it opens up slightly. The bulge that is left at the end retains its tight dimension, relative to the rest of the bore, and thus is classed as being 'choked'.

If the barrel is cut down, then you lose this 'choke'.

I appreciate that some barrels may have their choke produced by careful lapping and / or slugging the barrel before chambering, so that you can find any tight spot in the bore to use as the muzzle (if barrel length allows), but the question was about Anschutz barrels.

Walter in England

Walter,
I have heard this from a number of sources and it seems plausable. I have no first hand experience with turning down button rifled barrels and checking the I.D. before and after. I will take the more experienced at their word on this.

You might be interested in this thread on Steelchickens regarding cutting and tapering of Anschutz barrels.

http://www.steelchickens.com/forums/...php?f=1&t=3580

This runs contrary to most of what I've heard on the subject. I'm not implying that the story is bunk, and it is nice to hear, just that I'd be hesitent to do that to any of my Annie barrels.

I don't believe threading an action, properly, weakens it at all. Technically, maybe, in reality I don't think so. I think the benefits of threading versus pressing and pinning, at least regarding aftermarket rebarreling, are enormous.

Choke in Anschutz Barrel

I have had the experience of having an 1811 barreled action that was a poor shooter (over 1 inch at 100 yards with many lot numbers of Eley Red Box)
This was when rifle was new, I quit trying this rifle for several years and the went back to try it again, It did not group any better than before.

I then counterbored the end of barrel 5/8 diamenter 1 1/4 " deep it now will shoot 3/4 to 7/8 at 100 yards with selected ammo. This is not off of the bench this is prone on ground with sling

dege41

Muzzle counterbore

Isn't counterboring the muzzle, in line with what Bill Calfee has stated in previous threads about ringing barrels to find the 'dead spot', normally a few inches behind the crown? The weight of a tuner in front of the muzzle crown has the effect of moving the 'dead spot' towards the muzzle.

If I remember correctly, Bill found that with a light weight reverse taper barrel he could counter bore the muzzle, which would mean a few inches of steel ahead of the new 'crown', with the intention of, effectively, moving the crown back to where the 'dead spot' is, and without the need for a separate tuner.

(Perhaps others could chime in here with a better explanation?)

Perhaps this is what happened when you counter bored your Anschutz?

Walter

Anschutz Barrels

Hi All
I,m not sure that the bulge at the end of the Anschutz Barrel has a lot to do with chokeing,although rumor has it that they do compress the end of the barrel [more than an inch]
The bulge at the end of the barrel also raises the front sight to line up with the back sight,thus no need for a sight raiser,or the Anschutz Barrel weight.

The words above are just my opinion,And may be complete nonsence.
Regards John F.

Don't

I've seen too many to number, where the barrel was ruined after cutting the knob off the barrel. If anything, you may refresh the crown by removing no more than 1/2'' It usually doesn't take that much. If you want the shorten the barrel to reduce weight, do it at the chamber end.

Yes, the increase in dia. is to align sights on the lighter barrels of match guns. the heavy barrels have almost no step. I have a bull barreled Walther the dia. is greater than 1", front sight mount is milled into barrel. I have had many comments made to me by fellow shooters that have shortened their annie barrels, that they do not seem to shoot as well. In some cases it was for balance others trying to shed weight for personal preference. These were all position shooters.

Cutting off the far end of the barrel was popular a few decades ago. It is not just Anschutz barrels. I have two Remington 37's that were lopped off at the far end. This removed the choke and ruined the accuracy of the rifle. Factory barrels on 37's can be awesome. I have one 37 that was properly done by cutting the breech end and rechambering. It holds its own against all but perhaps a very few custom barrels. Sometimes folks learn the hard way but by then the damage is done. bob finger

54 Match Barrell

I have a model 54 match Anchutsz that was made in 1967, Rifle is in mint cond. and has all the acces. that came with it, also has two triggers the factory trigger and the trigger that is on it is a Karl Kenyon. My barrel has the bulge at the end , being i am new to this sport of rifle shooting and don't know anything about the rifle. I asked a bench rest shooter why the bulge at ths end and he told me it acts as a tuner. The reason i asked before i acted was i was going to cut the barrel down and get a bench rest stock. So is the bulge acting as achoke or tuner.

If you feel the need to shorten that barrel have a smith set it back and re chamber it. Do NOT cut off the front end. If you want to put a tuner on it just put it on over the bulge. The extra weight of the bulge can act as a "tuner" as can the front sight. But then again it may not be enough weight for it to act properly as a tuner. Slug the barrel if you want to find out if there is any "choke" near the muzzle. I have a 1973 1411 with factory barrel and a bit of a "bulge". Adding a tuner to it improved accuracy. Adding a Pappas Noodle improved it even more. bob finger

In a similar "is the Anschutz barrel choked or not?" topic thread on RimFire Central, a benchrest shooter who had occasion to sit down to dinner with Dieter Anschutz mentioned to Dieter in passing that some folks were shortening 'his' barrels by cutting off the 'knob'. Dieter laughed out loud and exclaimed that they were cutting off the accuracy. So, from that comment it would appear that Dieter Anschutz believes that his barrel production folks leave a choke at the end of the barrel for the purposes of accuracy.

Back