Anyone tried this new powder yet?

So has anyone else shot any of this stuff yet? Lee

I doubt it. If the burn rate is similar to H4198 then people will stick with whats tried and true. If they were selling it for $80/jug then many more folks in the BR world may have jumped on it. But at the current price there is really no need to switch.

What Jerry said was IMR-4198, not H-4198-SC. They are different. I still have a bit of the old IMR-4198, long grains and all. AS I REMEMBER, there was a lot or two that shot as well as the legendary T. The powder I have is some of Jeff Summers old stash; he would know if Jerry would ask him & report.

Charles

What Jerry said was IMR-4198, not H-4198-SC. They are different. I still have a bit of the old IMR-4198, long grains and all. AS I REMEMBER, there was a lot or two that shot as well as the legendary T. The powder I have is some of Jeff Summers old stash; he would know if Jerry would ask him & report.

Just talked to Jeff. His old IMR4198 was down around lot#3070-3090 or thereabouts. It was much slower than H4198. Where did you get what you have, from Dave??

Just talked to Jeff. His old IMR4198 was down around lot#3070-3090 or thereabouts. It was much slower than H4198. Where did you get what you have, from Dave??
Yup. Back when I was messing with the .30 BR rail that shot so good at the 300 yard Charlotte regional sometime in the late '90s. Tooley had just built the gun. If you remember, I think I was leading through the first three matches. On matches 4 & 5, I had to pound the bolt open -- match 5 with a rubber mallet.

It shot so good with a too-heavy charge of IMR 4227. Dave & I figured that IMR-4198 would be just the ticket. As it turned out, it wasn't. Since you mentioned it was a slow lot, I guess that's why.

swiss powder grain size

swisspowder.jpg
[/IMG]

I emailed wideners about the grain size and they sent back this picture. Looks like the longer grain size.

Larry Sivils

If one of you "users" of IMR-4198 lived close to Amissville, Va. & wanted two one lb. cans of IMR-4198 free, I would give them to you. one can is lot 3180, the other is 3198. seems like I have had them in my stash for ever. never opened. was thinking of throwing them away, as I haven't used IMR-4198 for many yrs.

Back