Anyone know what a "Liger" is ??? WOW !!!

G

gt40

On a typical day he will devour
200 lb of meat, usually beef or
chicken, and is capable of eating
100 lb at a single setting. At just
three years old, Hercules already
weighs half a ton.

He is the unintentional result of
two enormous big cats living close
together at the Institute of Greatly
Endangered and Rare Species, in
Miami , Florida , and already dwarfs
both his parents.

'Ligers are not something
we planned on having,' said
institute owner Dr Bhagavan Antle.
'W e have lions and tigers living
together in large enclosures and
at first we had no idea how well
one of the lion boys was getting
along with a tiger girl, then lo
and behold we had a liger.'
These two cats don't normally
have the opportunity to breed
in the wild, as most lions live
in Africa and most tigers in Asia.

50mph runner... Not only that, but
he likes to swim, a feat unheard of
among water-fearing lions. In the
wild it is virtually impossible for lions
and tigers to mate Not only are they
enemies likely to kill one another.
But incredible though he is, Hercules
is not unique. Ligers have been bred
in captivity, deliberately and
accidentally, since shortly
before World War II

Today there are believed to be a
handful of ligers around the world
and a similar number of tigons,
the product of a tiger father and
lion mother. Tigons are smaller
than ligers and take on more
physical characteristics of the
tiger.

Look at the size of the head
on this thing..

Check out the fangs - like pre-historic days
For you animal lovers........
and even those who aren't.
This is pretty cool.

Cats purr at the same frequency as an idling diesel engine, about 26 cycles per second.

Attachments

• SafeRedirect.jpg
    SafeRedirect.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 447
  • SafeRedirect-1.jpg
    SafeRedirect-1.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 398
  • SafeRedirect-2.jpg
    SafeRedirect-2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 402
  • SafeRedirect-3.jpg
    SafeRedirect-3.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 391
  • SafeRedirect-5.jpg
    SafeRedirect-5.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 406
Last edited by a moderator:
Holy cr@p...

...is that for real!!??

It's friggin huge!! No way would I get anywhere near that kittty cat.....

pf

Seen one

They have a couple of these at Animal Safari in Pine Mountain GA.

They were in a fenced area with a fence maybe 20ft tall with razor and shock wire around the top. Also in the pen was a large wooden platform with two levels maybe 8 & 16ft tall.

These animal are huge - this one was maybe 800+ lbs.

I watched it walk around in the pen a few minutes - then it decided to jump up on the platform - it used the 8 ft platform as a step to go directly to the 16 ft platform in one quick jump.

Awesome power...I immediately decided the fence was way too short and weak - time to go home.

I'm gonna need a bigger gun.

And a lotta dope for the folks who think their furry friends wuv them...

Lugee ?

is'nt that what we hauk up and spit-out when we are getting over a bad cold?? :rolleyes:

Maybe it's due to my religion, Abject Cowardice :eek:, but I sure wouldn't be walking around with wunna them critters. Becoming lunch isn't my idea of a good time. :D

I wonder what that says about Evolution??? If both tigers and lions become extinct, but Ligers survive is it a new species created by Artificial Selection? I wonder how many Ligers there were on the Ark?? Two, I suppose! :D If the chromosome count is the same, allot of changes are possible. When only the tall giraffes survived a drought by being able to reach higher leaves was that Evolution or were they all tall Giraffes on the Ark? A genetic mutation is only a freak if the change is a hinderance in survival. If it helps in survival, it is a beginning of a new species. What are our mutations that are evolving us as the eons go on, or were we just exactly like today in the Garden of Eden?? Is the ability to adapt to civilization evolutionary or based on the Bible. If you drag a 12 year old girl off to your cave now days that could quickly eliminate your ability to reproduce and have an Evolutionary effect on society. Your aggressive kind becomes extinct and those who can get along in civilization reproduce. Maybe the aggressive predators we lock up today might have been clan leaders before civilization! Well, of course not!! All the powerful men of the past were sensitive feminists like Alan Alda! :D

Just food for thought, don't pick it up and run with it! :eek: It goes nowhere if it becomes an argument. You know I'm a crazy liberal who can't help these thoughts! Just continue to ignore me!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Fed

That thing is probably well fed, or none of those "appetizers", (aka Humans), would be froliking around with him........jackie

Last edited:
I'm even careful when my dogs are having a nightmare and whining when I wake them. What if they are frightened and snap at me still half in a dream? No thanks, I would be caught next to an animal like that! Whoops, means you lost your head! :eek: :eek:

Back