Anyone in the Raleigh, NC area?

Alan C

I just located a 6PPC LV rifle and am now in the process of gearing up, which may take a while given I'm starting from ground zero. I was curious if there are any benchrest shooters in the Raleigh, NC area. I haven't heard anything about benchrest matches in the area, but thought that there may be some local shooters.

I haven't been involved in the shooting sport for 15-20 years, and then it was mostly with handguns. I reloaded a lot back then for handguns, as well as my .243 rifle and a 7mm IHMSA XP-100, but nothing benchrest related. I think it's going to be a challenge and a lot of fun!

Alan

I just located a 6PPC LV rifle and am now in the process of gearing up, which may take a while given I'm starting from ground zero. I was curious if there are any benchrest shooters in the Raleigh, NC area. I haven't heard anything about benchrest matches in the area, but thought that there may be some local shooters.

I haven't been involved in the shooting sport for 15-20 years, and then it was mostly with handguns. I reloaded a lot back then for handguns, as well as my .243 rifle and a 7mm IHMSA XP-100, but nothing benchrest related. I think it's going to be a challenge and a lot of fun!

Alan

Allen:

Your closest short range BenchRest 100-200 yd range is Rockingham Gun Club. Your closest 600 yard Benchrest range is Piedmont Gun Club, in Rutherfordton, and your closest long range bench rest(1000 yards) range is Hawksridge, in Ferguson. For long range prone and F-Class your closest range will be Butner, and North State Shooting Club runs those matches.
Nat Lambeth

Just to add a little info: The Rockingham Club is located just outside of Reidsville and hosts a monthly score match. I understand that there are several other score matches in NC, I'm not sure which clubs. Unfortunately, there are not currently any NBRSA group matches in the state. There are a couple in Georgia. If you get in touch with the Guys at Rockingham, they can help fill you in.

PM me if you make any trips out to the coast. I'm near Camp Lejeune and I can probably help you out with getting geared up. My BR shooting is on hold due to family health issues. I could probably at least give you a chance to put your hands on some equipment, rests, reloading, etc. so you can make informed choices as you build up your equipment list.

Last edited:
Allen:

Your closest short range BenchRest 100-200 yd range is Rockingham Gun Club. Your closest 600 yard Benchrest range is Piedmont Gun Club, in Rutherfordton, and your closest long range bench rest(1000 yards) range is Hawksridge, in Ferguson. For long range prone and F-Class your closest range will be Butner, and North State Shooting Club runs those matches.
Nat Lambeth

Thanks Nat! Looks like Rockingham Gun Club is my best choice. There are a couple of local gun clubs that have 100-200 yd ranges, so I was going to join one of them to start practicing. Unfortunately, membership is full at both. One had a 4-5 year wait list! Not sure how long the wait list is for the other.

Just to add a little info: The Rockingham Club is located just outside of Reidsville and hosts a monthly score match. I understand that there are several other score matches in NC, I'm not sure which clubs. Unfortunately, there are not currently any NBRSA group matches in the state. There are a couple in Georgia. If you get in touch with the Guys at Rockingham, they can help fill you in.

PM me if you make any trips out to the coast. I'm near Camp Lejeune and I can probably help you out with getting geared up. My BR shooting is on hold due to family health issues. I could probably at least give you a chance to put your hands on some equipment, rests, reloading, etc. so you can make informed choices as you build up your equipment list.

Thanks Scott. I'm interested in any advice that you have to offer.
I should have the rifle before long and have the Lapua brass, N133 powder, Federal
205M primers are coming in tomorrow. No bullets ordered yet (lots of choices out there). I don't have anything else at this time, so lots of other stuff left to acquire.

It's not a great time right now for benchrest competition in the Southeast region. The number of matches have been on a steady decline. I'm glad to hear of your interest. I'm new to it also and was hooked line and sinker after my first match. There is one registered match left this year at Riverbend gun club in Dawsonville GA

Thanks Scott. I'm interested in any advice that you have to offer.
I should have the rifle before long and have the Lapua brass, N133 powder, Federal
205M primers are coming in tomorrow. No bullets ordered yet (lots of choices out there). I don't have anything else at this time, so lots of other stuff left to acquire.

I sent you a PM

IBS has two active ranges with matches still scheduled this year

Allan,

IBS has two active ranges with matches still scheduled this year in NC. Both are west of you some. Ashe County Wildlife Club Laurel Springs, NC. Piedmont Gun Club Rutherfordton, NC.
IBS web site is at http://internationalbenchrest.com/. It will give you contact information and schedule.

Daryl

The Polk county gun club in Columbus has a match the last Sunday every month. Www.polkcountygunclub.org is the club website. We are 15 miles from Piedmont. We post notices here under the competition section.our matches are fun and competive and we hope to see you!

Alan, Rockingham shoots on the 4th saturday of the month start time is 9am, they alternate between 100 and 200 yds, September will be 100 yds. Come shoot, great bunch of people.

Thanks everyone! In the process of getting geared up and things are starting to trickle in. I've even found a gun club about an hour away with open memberships, so now I have a place to practice. I'm looking forward to it!

Alan

Does that range have covered concrete benches?

It is covered and they said they provide tables and chairs....I assumed (we know what that means) concrete, but now that you ask, I'm not so sure. I'll need to check on that. Thanks for asking!

Back