Anyone fish?

funny,

A few yrs back I called In-Fisherman magazine about their annual "Big Fish" issue where they profile the true freshwater giants of the world. There were Russian Sturgeon and Amazonian Arapaima Pi'racu', Mekong and Wels catfish from China and France. Huge Taimen trouts from the Himalayan steppes ......but no mention of the White Sturgeon.

So I called the mag to see what gives......

Al Lindner picked up. So I reamed on him a liddle about ignoring our own giant fishes. I told him that I could go down the road 5-10miles and catch stuff bigger than the fish in his magazine articleas, that he was serving his own country short shrift....... there was a long pause.......

And I quote his reply.....

"What, Are You STUPID?"

:D:D:D:D:D

So anyways..... he told how this slot of the Columbia is their private playground. They've been coming here since the early 80's. Sturgeon, Salmon, Steelhead, Smallmouth, Walleye like they can only dream of back home......and tastier.

Here and the Fla Keys is where the In-Fisherman crowd fish on their off time. Al and Jim Lindner and Gary Roach from Brainerd MN know this stretch of river better than me!

When I moved back here in '84 the salmon fishermen were throwing Walleyes in the woods. "Trash Fish" to be treated like Squawfish or Pike minnows. A friend of mine chopped up a couple of 12-14lbers and spread them on his garden. In fact, it was bad form to ever put one back in the water if you incidentally hooked one......... "river law" stated that you had to take it home to dispose of it or chop it up for chum. Or just hurl it into the woods.

A walleye guide will still starve here. I know a bunch of guides....one of them has me do some gun work. I asked him about guiding for walleyes and he said he'd do it, on "special order only" basis.

Yup, guys here will put back stuff that'd be hanging on the wall in MN.

Good to see you taking advantage of our bounty.

al

Just another day in Paradise

When I'm not shooting I'm.....................

Attachments

• 1-0496 Flats Fishing.jpg
    1-0496 Flats Fishing.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 140
All this talk about fishing, specifically wallys is making me hungry. I think a shore lunch of Rainy River walleye, Red River Valley Red taters and some bacon to go along side the turkey I am gonna smoke tomorrow is gonna be the plan..

And to keep this thread is sync with benchrest, Santa has been vedy-vedy goot to me. Got my Nightforce last week for my build, rings yesterday, barrel, action and trigger are in the safe just awaiting a package from PT&G and off to the lathe I go... A two year journey almost complete.. BUT the temps has been averaging prob -5* so I cant shoot it just yet.

Merry Xmas all!!

Nodak

Nodak

Nothing, but NOTHING, beats the taste of fresh Pompano! Especially when caught on a flyrod.
Don

Salmon grilled over alder does it for me

999101517_927CE28A726655C3E81C222A144641D6.JPG

Add some garlic, dill and lemon juice to butter

200102517_0F06CA9AB7A0359364E0734764E7721A.JPG

Cook it until it just firms up

500102517_C54613F854E8958E382AE1619F83AA9B.JPG

and serve with an appropriate side dish

AmberAngel6packweb.jpg

I love fish and turkey.

Here is how I like lemon pepper turkey. ;)

gt40

Attachments

• turkey.jpg
    turkey.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 145
Paul...
Good shot of the Alakan Amber. ;)
In the new label...too.!
My Favorite brew.:D

Lower Laguna Madre...

...ultra salinity bay.

Dad & I a few years back.

pf
<><

Attachments

• DSCN0237.jpg
    DSCN0237.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCN0230.jpg
    DSCN0230.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 142
Northern AUS

Hi ,Pic of a "Barramundi" caught in Nth Queensland ,Australia..A big female that has to be returned to the water to breed again..JR..Jeff Rogers

Attachments

• barrafaust2.jpg
    barrafaust2.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 134
Back