Anybody know about this Remington 700 stock from Bob's Gunshop in Arkansas?

VaniB

My interest is with the RIFLE STOCK AT THE TOP:

P7280003.jpg

It's being sold at Bob's Gunshop in Royal, Arkansas.

I thought this might be a unique and usefull varmint stock for a heavy barreled varmint rig.

Anybody know what it is, or who makes it?
It looks to me to closely resemble a Fajen varmint stock that was being sold about 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Click on this image to check out the stock at the top of the photo;

P7280003.jpg

It's not a thumbhole stock. Anybody else think they may know?

But....it sure does resemble Boyd's thumbhole design and I have sent Boyd's an email asking if they made it.

Last edited:
It's not a thumbhole stock. Anybody else think they may know?

But....it sure does resemble Boyd's thumbhole design and I have sent Boyd's an email asking if they made it.

Take a look at the stock in the middle of picture in the link you posted. That IS a thumbhole stock. They also made a non thumbhole version as well.

Take a look at the stock in the middle of picture in the link you posted. That IS a thumbhole stock. They also made a non thumbhole version as well.

Click on this image to check out the stock at the top of the photo;

you have to reread his 1st post. Both of you were referring to different stocks in the original pic. He's referring to the top picture, not the middle thumbhole stock.

The top looks like a Fajen Ace varminter. Midway was selling them for something like $90 about 10yrs ago. A little clunky and blocky as is but there's plenty to cut down. I reshaped mine and it came out real nice. Still sitting in the shop.

Ooops, I missed the part about the top stock in the picture. I still believe it to be a Boyds stock. Boyds has cut down on their stock models over the past couple of years. I ordered one identical to it from boyds a few years ago, but I can't remember the name. Maybe "Walking Varminter", but it was identical to the top one in the picture, and even had the cooling vents which if I remember right at the time you could get the varmint stocks with or without the vents.

Well, it evidently is something of a special order by this Arkansas Gun Shop, as none of the gunstock makers are showing it on their websights.

Ackman,

Yea...I currently have an unfinished Ace Varminmter in solid walnut that I got from Larry Potterfield of Midway on a recent Ebay auction. I thought I might find a current production stock to tear into before messing with this one- of-a-kind Fajen. I really like the target/varmint style of the Fajen and have wondered why Boyd's or somebody else hasn't offered similar.

I put one on a ruger a couple years back. Boyd's made it. almost identical to the fajen but the forearm slots are horizontal where the fajen is angled. dont think its made anymore

Hmmmm.....when I started this thread I couldn't get the photo to post and could only provide a hyperlink. But, this time I can easily post the photo here myself (??) :confused:

P7280003.jpg

Last edited:
Jackson
You are right. The stock on the top is a Boyds, Its not "Walking Varminter" , rather "Target-Varminter". They quit making them, and again you are right on them cutting back. If you do a search on thier site, the only varmint style stocks are for a Left hand winchester.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/WINCHESTER-70-LEFT-HAND-p/503-155.htm

As far as special order, my guess is that he got one heck of a deal on a closeout.

DR

That's correct. it was a Target-Varminter. Boyds used to have a nice line of stocks on hand. These days it seems they haven't had much in stock any time I have tried to order one from them.

Thats because they cater to all the rifle company's and not the little guy anymore

Boyds

That's correct. it was a Target-Varminter. Boyds used to have a nice line of stocks on hand. These days it seems they haven't had much in stock any time I have tried to order one from them.

Yes,it is a Boyds. They discontinued them , but you might check e-bay as I bought 1 on there last year.

I bought mine from this co. He doesn,t show them anymore, but you might give them a call to doublecheck.
http://www.stockysstocks.com/servlet/StoreFront

I'm starting to really hate that name. They offer thumbhole stocks and the usual stuff. Too bad I don't like thumbhole stocks, and I'm not looking for the usual stuff.

Stockey's started showing up on Ebay about 2 months ago. Whenever I enter the search "Remington Stock" on Ebay I have to sift through scores of Stockey's offerings. They have flooded Ebay with a seperate ad placed for each COLOR STOCK!

Wish they'ed stop it.

i've orderd parts from bob's in the past & they usually only have about half of what your trying to order so i'd email them first to make sure they actually have the stock before placing an order.

Top Stock

I have one that a 40x 6 BR came in along w/the orig.stock Since it was set up in the stock Ive shot it that way. Neither Fish nor Fowl as Far as Im concerned , Just another Stock. I guess I like it, I havent put the orig. back on it

Back