anybody increasing rifle scope magnification?

hardrockjr

I have just gotten back into benchrest after a dozen years away. The scope magnifications have really jumped! I have a Lyman/Seibert 25 LWBR scope that is 32X. Can this scope be modified to increase the magnificantion to say 40X or 45X? If so, who provides these services

Bill Ackerman is the only person I know of that boosts scope magnification. Optical Services in Santa Theresa, NM http://targetshooteroptics.com/#2747 Unfortunately, two others who used to boost scope power, Wally Seibert and Dick Thomas, have both passed away. The Lyman's that I've seen that have been boosted very high in power have been pretty dark and I imagine is why your scope was boosted to 32X instead of higher power. It shouldn't be hard for Bill to bump your scope to at least 36X. At one time, he would boost scope power by 60%. That would get 40X out of a 25X scope. Whatever was done to your scope to boost it to 32X would have to be undone and depending upon how that was done it may or not be practical to remove your boost assembly.

I have a Lyman/Seibert 25 LWBR scope that is 32X. Can this scope be modified to increase the magnification to say 40X or 45X? If so, who provides these services

Consider the exit pupil of your current scope first, keeping the following in mind:

Exit Pupil: Given objectives (front lens elements) of equal size, the more magnification the scope, the smaller the exit pupil. Remember that the exit pupil, a tiny circle of light, must deliver ALL the optical data your eye receives. Bigger is better by far. Too small an exit pupil will make a good scope dim and hard to use. That’s why we [Source: http://www.accurateshooter.com/optics/target-scopes/ ] advise against boosting the Weaver T-36 or the 36X Sightron. With their respective 40mm and 42mm objectives, the exit pupil becomes too small when they are boosted beyond 36x.

Knowing the size in millimeters of your current scope's objective will help determine whether or not it's going to be a good candidate for boosting.

Thank You All!

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question on increasing scope magnification. I came by a Leupold 45X in the meantime and will retire the Lyman/Seibert 32X. So my problem has been resolved. All the best, Hardrockjr

Back