Any warnings and/or advice about using Leupold standard 2 piece base and rings?

The pointed ones are just stupid, they won't "get you close" they'll get you into trouble :mad:

Of course you're right............if you've already GOT the pointy ones, just use them backwards.

Use the handle end to do the job that the working end was designed to do and you'll be ok :D

LOL

al

scope alignment tools

The pointed ones are just stupid, they won't "get you close" they'll get you into trouble :mad:
alQUOTE]

Al,
I don't understand how they can get you into trouble. You put the pointed ends into your rings and see that you have parallel misalignment by viewing from the side and angular misalignment from the top. You lap the bottom rings in until the misalignment is gone. Remove alignment tool, relap with top rings loosely installed; tight enough not to bind lapping bar. Matchmark your rings. Clean all lapping compound from rings and lapping bar. Re-install lapping bar and tighten down top rings to pre-form rings to bar. I then remove bar and rings and lay a piece of 1/2" masking tape in the bottom saddle of the rings. Re-install lapping bar, tighten top rings and trim excess masking tape along edge of rings with X-Acto knife. You now have a compressed cushion for your scope to lie in that has some non-marring tooth. Align your scope and put a small dab of Permatex Ultra Blue in the center of top rings. Tighten your top rings, allow the RTV to cure and remove excess with fingernail. I've never stressed a scope or had one move.

I use the pointed alignment tools from Brownell's. They'll take care of 1" & 30mm rings. I chucked them up in a four jaw chuck, dialed them in with no runout and took a skim cut off the reverse end with the crossfeed. I have both the Kokopelli type tool as well as the pointed tool, in one tool. After lapping in with the pointed ends, I'll reverse ends and check alignment. The alignment is usually dead nuts on.

Chino69

Last edited:
Well guys, as far as alignment bar points being bad or good, since I already paid the $$ and have the bars at the work bench, I guess I'll soon find out how they work.

You know Al, when I was shopping for the alignment bars my mechanical mind had immediate suspicions too about the conical ends and points not being as efficient as say if the bars simply had two 90 degree butted ends. (like the Kokepelli). I summized that I woul get a broader area to examine with two 1" wide blunt ends, instead of lining up two 1/64" pin point.

But, I saw a lot of different places selling pointed bars, and figured I was a newbie and wasn't experienced enough to make a valid assesment about pointed bars. I couldn't resist buying the solid 1" bars on Ebay for $17 shipped, and the 30mm bars for $21 shipped.

Chino,
Well, I'm glad you have had all the best luck with the pointed bars. I can't help but feel at ease to know that if it has worked fine for you, then I should be able to get it to work for me too. You know it's funny....I was thinking about he bars this morning driving to work. I realized I could just turn them around. Lo and behold, I get on the internet now to hear you guys telling me the same thing. Great minds think alike! :)

However, I just checked the bars to find out that the ends are machined with knurling and are in fact probably 1/32" slightly larger then the pointed ends. So, it is unlikely I can pull off that trick as efficiently. I'll try it with the knurled butt ends anyway.

Anyway...I took note of what you detailed, and will refer to it when I' ready to do the work.

I reckon if nobody else has criticism or negative input about my desiring to go with the Leupold DUAL DOVETAIL rings and bases, then I'll proceed and order along with a Sinclair lapping bar.

Yep guys,
It pays when I wait a day or two to read what folks have to post here on this thread. If I was in a hurry, I would have already ordered the standard rings, and no lapping bar.

Your input has been great. :)

Chino69,

OK, let's just assume that the ring that you start with is crooked (and they all are ;) ) ..................you put your pointy tool in and then when you put the other one in, they don't touch? Leupold rings are adjustable on both ends......what do you adjust? Just because you get them to TOUCH doesn't mean that they're ALIGNED. (Incidentally THIS is exactically why Brownells came out with their "new and improved" sleeved pointy tools so that you could run them back and forth and check travel............HOKEY!!!) Pointy bars are the result of lathe proficient folks doing what they know how to do........for a LATHE with it's rotating headstock they ARE the proper tool but for use as a static tool they're worse than useless, they're dangerous because they lead you to BELIEVE that you've achieved something..

The Kokopelli bars are just so K.I.S.S.-simple and foolproof that I can only say "I wish't I'da thought of that!"

Inspired............all others are just wannabe's.

al

Just to add a little more confusion to the mix I'll tell one thing I do to mount solid rings. On 1" rings I use a 36" long 1" bar that I first tighten the rear ring down on with double dovetail rings. I then rotate the ring and bar seating the dovetail ring to the base until the bar is in exact alignment with the end of the barrel. I then do the same with the front ring and then there's a good likelihood that both will be as closely aligned as possible. I then place the bar in both sets of rings and tighten them down which will seat them a little tighter still. A little lapping will then take care of any manufacturing imperfections in the rings. Maybe a little overly anal but I'm happy with them that way.

Long scope bar

Just to add a little more confusion to the mix I'll tell one thing I do to mount solid rings. On 1" rings I use a 36" long 1" bar that I first tighten the rear ring down on with double dovetail rings. I then rotate the ring and bar seating the dovetail ring to the base until the bar is in exact alignment with the end of the barrel. I then do the same with the front ring and then there's a good likelihood that both will be as closely aligned as possible. I then place the bar in both sets of rings and tighten them down which will seat them a little tighter still. A little lapping will then take care of any manufacturing imperfections in the rings. Maybe a little overly anal but I'm happy with them that way.

It works for me! I use a different method but your method sounds good as well.
Chino69

Back