Any tips for when using brass case Polishing Media?

I just bought a 7# container of crushed walnut hulls with rouge packaged by Lyman's from Sinclair. The price was about $20.00 and replaces what works well in my Lyman polisher.

Brasso That's what I have used as an additive for years..keep it simple. However, some like to wash their cases after tumbling (wet or dry media) because some feel that a little of the grit gets stuck on the case inside and is harmful to the bore when shot (or could be). Heck, I don't know if there is any truth or proof to it.

Hovis

not so good for cartridge brass....
The label of Australian Brasso lists "Liquid Hydrocarbons 630g/L; Ammonia 5g/L",
ammonia is not a good thing....

wiped on and off with no "imersion time" maybe not so bad...but brasso is never arounf my brass

Brasso That's what I have used as an additive for years..keep it simple. However, some like to wash their cases after tumbling (wet or dry media) because some feel that a little of the grit gets stuck on the case inside and is harmful to the bore when shot (or could be). Heck, I don't know if there is any truth or proof to it.

Hovis

The very slight amount of ammonia evaporates while mixing with the media. No such thing of imersion in this situation.

Hovis

The very slight amount of ammonia evaporates while mixing with the media. No such thing of imersion in this situation.

Hovis

True, but why not just use a liquid auto polish such as Nu-Finish which is less expensive and will also retard tarnish. Most folks probably even have a bottle of same already in their garage.

jcwit,
Sure can, I have a can of brasso from 1984. Why buy something when I have a good subsitute at hand. There are a lot of ways to skin this cat, I just mentioned one.

Hovis

jcwit,
Sure can, I have a can of brasso from 1984. Why buy something when I have a good subsitute at hand. There are a lot of ways to skin this cat, I just mentioned one.

Hovis

Also true, no argument, but are you telling me you do not have a bottle/can of opened liquid/paste auto cleaner polish in your garage?

If you have the same can since 1984 you sure don't tumble much brass, thats 28 years, either that or you have one huge can of BrassO.

Gave it up years ago

To be honest I gave up keeping the brass clean by polishing them by any means years ago. I just give them a wash in something most people would consider dangerous or even evil for about a minute. Then let them evaporate dry with no harm being done to the brass. Cleans them inside and out by disolving the carbon. If someone wants to know what it is I'll send them a PM.
Andy.

Back