Any reason why NOT to put a "DM" into the equation with a Remington 700 build ??

VaniB

Any reason why NOT to put a "DM" into the equation with a Remington 700 build ??

While I'm still debating between a 7mm-08AI and a 280AI for my next project, I will surely be using a 700 LA stainless action.

BUT...is there any reason why I should NOT consider a Remington 700 DM (detachable magazine) over the 700 BDL box magazine? I was wondering if using the factory DM poses some kind of disadvantage that I may be overlooking. (??) For example, does this kind of receiver have less integral strength, and/or possibly have an adverse affect on accuracy compared to the BDL box magazine? Could it be glass bedded as good? Will it be possible to hand feed a single round directly into the magazine from the open chamber? My rifle will be target-tactical based, and it seemed like having a "clip" fed rifle in a 308/30-06 based rifle would be cool....but not if it will hamper the accuracy potential.

Never mind gentlemen about the particulars I was inquiring. I have found out that the Remington DM design is just a terrible design that won't feed with the factory mags.

I don't know about not feeding with the factory mags... I doubt that is much of a problem, but on a factory DM action the bottom of the action is milled out and it would never function with anything but a detachable magazine... no choice to use an adl or bdl style...

VaniB,
I have been using a Kwik Klip conversion for years and it is great. It is a center feed that works great. I think Cabelas has them for long action only. I whis they made them in short action.
Bob

I believe Pacific precision has a aftermarket set up for the Remington 700 seiries check it out.

So, when you miss the animal, you need to slap another magazine in quickly?

Some might but not us... we hunt old logging roads and old cuts and we are in and out of the vehicle 40 times a day ... law prevents us from having a loaded magazine in the firearm in the vehicle... so rather than use an internal fixed magazine the detachable is so much nicer. Rare that more than 2 shots get fired.

Some might but not us... we hunt old logging roads and old cuts and we are in and out of the vehicle 40 times a day ... law prevents us from having a loaded magazine in the firearm in the vehicle... so rather than use an internal fixed magazine the detachable is so much nicer. Rare that more than 2 shots get fired.

Under those circumstances, the a DM would be a real good choice. Accuracy s/b the same either way

The main reason why I was considering a DM version of the 700 for a 7mm-08 or 280AI is because I located an excellent condition riflle at a very reasonable price. As I don't hunt, I'm not really concerned about the possibilities of a hoard of beligerant deer attacking me as much as I don't mind a target-tactical based rifle in the 308/30-06 based cartridge having military roots to a detachable magazine. Of course what Dennis mentions makes a whole lot of sense too.

If anybody wants to know of the probelms that you can expect with a Remington 700 DM, just google "Remington detachable magazine". There are numerous instances mentioned in detail, and it seems to be a very established fact. And yes Dennis, the DM model cannot be converted to a box. More then one person had mentioned their frustration with this very fact and said that the only thing they could do with their rifle was to use it for one or two shots at best.

What confuses me with some of these older threads is the fact that some of these guys say that Remington couldn't fix the problem and had supposedly discontinued the DM due to all the trouble. Yet, the 700 in DM is still beingl offered today. I don't know if it's the older models from the 90's that were a problem or just certain cartridges, or what. (??)

Last edited:
VaniB
They invented Velcro for the people who have trouble tying there own shoes.I wouldn't worry too much about the DBM unless you can't tie your own shoe laces.
If your using a long action and your thinking about a magazine go with the 280AI and use aftermarket bottom metal.Most aftermarket bottom metal is center feed(inline) and works very well with Ackley Improved cases.
At our local range we have a lot of shooters using these set-ups and other than the newest shooters no problems.
There are usually ads for receivers only in the classifieds running around $220 if you can't find one go to www.6mmbr.com as there is a guy selling trued up Remingtons in stainless or blued in both lengths ready to go.Pawn shops are a good source as well.
The only drawbacks are the terrain were you live.Out here we hunt in a huge amount of brush and it can release some of the fancy drop box magazines if you hit it just right.Also some shooters like to stuff there pockets with spare ammo.With magazines this becomes tougher.If your hunting from a stand or hunt in the east this won't be a problem.
Lynn
Edit: North West Action Works sells all the various actions ready to go.

Last edited:
The main reason why I was considering a DM version of the 700 for a 7mm-08 or 280AI is because I located an excellent condition riflle at a very reasonable price. As I don't hunt, I'm not really concerned about the possibilities of a hoard of beligerant deer attacking me as much as I don't mind a target-tactical based rifle in the 308/30-06 based cartridge having military roots to a detachable magazine. Of course what Dennis mentions makes a whole lot of sense too.

If anybody wants to know of the probelms that you can expect with a Remington 700 DM, just google "Remington detachable magazine". There are numerous instances mentioned in detail, and it seems to be a very established fact. And yes Dennis, the DM model cannot be converted to a box. More then one person had mentioned their frustration with this very fact and said that the only thing they could do with their rifle was to use it for one or two shots at best.

What confuses me with some of these older threads is the fact that some of these guys say that Remington couldn't fix the problem and had supposedly discontinued the DM due to all the trouble. Yet, the 700 in DM is still beingl offered today. I don't know if it's the older models from the 90's that were a problem or just certain cartridges, or what. (??)

Thanks guys for the input, but it was only because of one particular rifle that I found reasonsably priced on GunBroker that I was even considering a rifle with a detachable magazine feature.

Lynn,
I have no clue what your "velcro" remark was all about.(??) Whether or not the factory Remington DM version of the 700 has integral design flaws so that their factory magazine does not feed reliably should have nothing to do with anybody's intelligence or aptitude to tie their shoe laces. All I wanted to know was whether the FACTORY REMINGTON DM works or not. I contend from the information that I was able to gather about it elsewhere on the internet from other people's first hand accounts with it; It does not always work.....or at least it's track record is very spotty at best. But, thanks for mentioing the alternate options.

VaniB
The point of my post was that most people have no problems with the factory DBM but that some people have problems with anything including tying there own shoes.
Good Luck on your build.
Lynn

VaniB
The point of my post was that most people have no problems with the factory DBM but that some people have problems with anything including tying there own shoes.
Good Luck on your build.
Lynn

I was surprised to hear of all the complaints about the Remington DBM. I have owned 2, still have one in .338 and both functioned perfectly. Both in magnum cartridges. When I think about how the magizines lock into the bottom metal, I can see how the stock inletting dimensions, particularly the spacing between the action and the bottom would be important. I did not go out of my way to buy either one, just found them at an exceptionally low price.

Scott

Remington 700 dm fix

Hi everyone, the fix that worked for me on my rem 700 dm, was to take a small brass hammer and tap the front and back of the mag well so the magazine fits tight. This will no longer allow the rear of the magazine to drop so the bolt can't catch the rounds. You want a tight fit, because after you take the magazine in and out a few times it will open up a bit. This may be something you have to do from time to time.
When their new it's not an issue but over time they will open up. This would not be a problem if Remington made the trigger guard/magazine well out of steel, not a softer medal.
Any way, it worked for me, hope it works for you.

Detach mag.

Buy a Rem.788.... in 7/08..... single stack mag.feed..... accurate........400$ used..... good truck gun..........

Back