Anschutz 54 Sporter Crown Problem

bigh

These are photos of a S-A 54 sporter crown. I could not believe the condition the crown was in, it came from the factory like this. Also you can see the lands appear to be worn, I dont know if a bore brush caused this or if a pilot at the factory caused it, if they even use pilots on the crown at the factory. The rifle has not been fired much at all. The rifle came from an estate sale and was purchased new by the original owner. If you look closely at the photos you can actually see that the bevel from crown into the bore is actually wavy. Several Anschutz used rifles that I have checked most all show the wear on the lands at the muzzle. Thoughts ? Repairable ?

5xlWGTs.jpg

yc5hY9B.jpg

o7yiKkO.jpg

e3n06ac.jpg

Last edited:
Who knows the real story on a used rifle?

I have a couple of 54's and they both shoot "lights out"

Direct from the Anschutz manual: Clean after the first 500 rounds and then after every 5,000 rounds.

Yep, more rimfire barrels damaged from cleaning then not cleaning.

I won't state my cleaning regiment because BR types will glaze over and miss the point; however I've never use a brush and have fired ten's of thousands of rounds through one of these rifles.

Yes, that crown looks real bad and needs to be redone. Most likely less than $50 for a real nice job. Remove metal past the damage.

bigh,

The crown does look rough, but I would shoot it first. I've seen a few rifles that didn't know they were supposed to shoot bad when having a rough crown, bad bedding, etc.

Justin

it look like three steps.
and with more magnification you might
see if the step at the bore/lands is a clean cut or not.
no it ain't pretty, and not how i crown

it look like three steps.
and with more magnification you might
see if the step at the bore/lands is a clean cut or not.
no it ain't pretty, and not how i crown

I looked at it with a 16x magnifier the crown is very uneven where it meets the bore and the step is uneven also, what puzzles me is what caused the wear on the lands inside the bore I imagine a brush could do that but I dont think in this case that the brush was the culprit, maybe someone out there knows and will post for us.

I would first pin guage it to insure how far back one might have to go to cut the new crown should it actually be slightly enlarged at the muzzle in lieu of just simply cleaning it up without first checking.

With all due respect John,

Who knows the real story on a used rifle?

I have a couple of 54's and they both shoot "lights out"

Direct from the Anschutz manual: Clean after the first 500 rounds and then after every 5,000 rounds.

Yep, more rimfire barrels damaged from cleaning then not cleaning.

I won't state my cleaning regiment because BR types will glaze over and miss the point; however I've never use a brush and have fired ten's of thousands of rounds through one of these rifles.

Yes, that crown looks real bad and needs to be redone. Most likely less than $50 for a real nice job. Remove metal past the damage.

It makes a big difference on how big the x is one is shooting at. If one is trying to hit a 1/16" dot consistently, the community that is trying to do that have learned that one needs a fairly clean barrel to do it. If the x is , say 1", well, after every case may get it done.

Just sayin,

Pete

Back