Anschutz 1907A and 1913A

D

decr8er

Hey All,
I downloaded the newest Anschutz Target PDF just for Shts and Giggles. There was one offering that I just can't quite digest, ergo this post.....
Anschutz is offering the new 1918 aluminum "perfect" stock in a "Auflage" benchrest setup. One is with the 1907(A) and the other with the 1913(A). I may be a bit thick at times, but I can't make sense of this rifle....and could use a bit of guidance. I originally thought that they were making this rifle with an attachable fore piece to fit into our shooting style, but they have an extended rear rail to accommodate the rear eye-piece for open sights when shooting from a benchrest position. The butt-stock is unique to these rifles as well.
So my question is this...am I missing something? Is there an open sight benchrest league out there that I have never heard of? Or is Anschutz just trying to form a new discipline by getting guys like me to bite?
best,tim

I think there is 9 different stock variations with those.

Tim: Its quite a trip for you but the 2nd Saturday morning of each month Salisbury Gun Club, Salisbury, MD holds an open sights rimfire benchrest match. Factory rifles are required. You and your rifle need to be capable of 250-20X or better at 50 meters if you expect to come close to winning most matches. It is a tough crowd. bob finger

Hi Bob,
Now why wasn't I aware of the open sight matches? I just assumed that BR was only scoped as that is what we always talk about.
t.

sights

Are you meaning "open sights" or Iron (metallic) sights??? Big difference.

bjm

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like I'm missing something...what is the difference between open sights and iron sights?....only thing I could think of was post style and peep sights???

sights

Thats common error, "Peep" or aperture type sights are metallic sights, these include target type sights, both front and rear. Front can be post or aperture.
Open sights are just that, open notch as are found on most sporter type rifles. Open sights can qualify as metallic, as they are, but metallic sights do not qualify as open sights.

bjm

Last edited by a moderator:
In Germany, ISSF-style shooters have a type of competition that they call benchrest. It is shot with air rifle and smallbore. In this class, most shooters are veterans. They shoot standing, with metallic sights. The rifle is shot from a stand. It looks like this: http://ahg.anschuetz-sport.com/index.php5?menu=104&sprache=1&seite=83&produktID=822. As usual, Anschütz is alway quick to offer rifles adapted for each new type of competitions.

Paul

Last edited:
Schuetzen

In parts of the US, German clubs still shoot Iron sight matches at 100 yards.
22RF was instituted during the war, due to economics. Some of the clubs still shoot CF, at 200yards. Scopes are now allowed in some of the organizations.
Picture032.jpg

I stand corrected. Metallic sights are what we use at Salisbury. Anschutz, Walther, Win 52's are the norm. My 37 is always a loner. We use the SB-7 50 yard round ball muzzle loading target. Why? Don't have the answer to that except it has six bulls; one for practice and 5 for score. The ten ring measures 7/8 diameter with the X ring measuring 3/8 inch. It is very similar to the A-25.

With 12 benches available several shooters need to wait their turn. We also shoot a scope match intermixed with the irons er metallic match. Most of the guys shoot both. Hard to find a place to have more fun for $5 a card once a month. Great bunch of folks show up rain or shine. bob

Hey all,
Interesting information. I am looking further into the stand idea. I just couldn't make heads or tails out of why Anschutz was making such an expensive rifle for metallic sights (thank you for the clarification there). I may just have to get a new set for mine as a next step, and chuck the Weaver. It looks like a whole lot of fun.

Back