Another Newbie inquires .....

abbydad

I have Remington 700 BDL action, trued & bedded to McMillan tactical stock w. Hart SS 24" 14 twist bbl (267nk), Jewell HVT set to 1#, Leupold 8.5-25X50 Vari-X III which shoots 1/4-1/2 @ 100yd w. 66-68 gr Eubers/Fowlers & H322 & Fed 206M in Lapua brass. I'd like to shoot @ 300 & 600. Can I stay w. this 14 twist bbl? Any bullet suggestions. (I have some Sierra 60's & 70's to play with). Am I nuts to want to try a 600 yd match w. this rig ? &/or should I modify what I have ? ....or start from scratch ? .......... PS It's a 6BR!

Last edited:
abbydad

I am assuming this is a 6PPC or a 6BR.

The 1-14 twist limits you to bullets not much heavier than 70 grns, and not much longer than .825.

You can ceratinly shoot 600 yrds with what you have, but there are certainly better options. If you sat down with absolutly no wind, you might do ok. But, the minute things get kicking, you will soon learn why shooters use fast twist barrels and big long bullets.

Extreme Accuracy shooting is steadilly evolving into disciplines that are very equipment specific. In other words, you just about have to build specifically for what ever one you choose to participate.

But, it can be done. A few years ago, Nick Marino entered a F-Class 600 yard match at The Golden Triangle Gun Club in Beaumont Tx, and won the thing, using one of his 6PPC Benchrest Rifles........jackie

Last edited:
Sure you can use it. Should have a lot of fun too. But don't expect to win anything.

Back