Another neck turning thread.

So, is it scrap? Is it going to cost more than what it'd cost me to get another one to repair it?

So, is it scrap? Is it going to cost more than what it'd cost me to get another one to repair it?

Get it uprught then reevaluate. I'm guessing from what I can see so far about $300-600 in used parts. That guy is old American iron, you can't kill it!!

The carriage shaft may not even be damaged. The cross slide shaft??? could possibly be straightened. Hard to tell for sure on anything else from the pictures.

I'm with Jerry, get 'er up on 'er feet..... CAREFULLY!!!

A neighbor's loader tractor would be nice, let me say DO NOT try an engine hoist (cherry picker) nor a chainhoist lashup to your ceiling joists....IMO the tractor/bobcat/lift should be in the 45hp+ range.. Might crack your concrete drive or floor on the pick.

Was a guy on here couple yrs back tried to get his new gun safe down the stairs into the basement. He got 'er down, THROUGH the stairway....

al

I threw in the towel earlier, I'll call a wrecker tomorrow and get someone out here to get it upright and into place hopefully, and do some damage assessing. I know for a fact the cross slide handwheel is now on its own program, the casting it went into is fractured, but should be able to be brazed back into place.

I'm going to get one out here tomorrow, really hoping I didn't completely wreck it. Bad day friends, bad day.

Hey Jim...... take it from someone who just got a 3000.00 doctor bill for a stupid. ANY DAY that something tougher than you slips and nobody loses parts IS A GOOD DAY!!! :)

I didn't see any blood on the floor.....

al

No blood, and no injuries Al, today was a good day in that arena. I calmed down, drained a couple brews, and sat in the garage to stare at it for awhile. It looks like it's salvageable, the carriage handwheel is shattered, I'll have to have a replacement machined, as is the cross slide handwheel. The casting went all over the place, but I'll braze it up and paint it like any good welder knows to do. Nice and pretty. There are two gears for the cross slide that are just destroyed, broken teeth and bent. I'm assuming the gear attached to the carriage handwheel are done too. There's a couple of gear shops here in Houston, I'm going to get quotes to duplicate them, hoping it won't be obscene. I'm going to pull the saddle and apron when I get it upright again and check all the gears for damage, and pull the cover off the quick change and headstock to check for damage there.

Jim

Scratch that, just cut a finger on a beer can.

I will update tomorrow when I get a better idea of how extensive the damage is, if you need specific photos or can tell me what to look for, I am nothing but ears and gratitude. I'm determined to keep this piece of American history alive and well and back to making chips.

Thanks everyone, the encouragement was sorely needed and is greatly appreciated, this is truly the best place on the web.

Jim

The last wreck I had with something heavy was one of these

F5374.jpg

unloading it from my 1Ton, down ramps, dead beat, got away from me and dropped/flipped/crashed over the edge......... just rounded off every corner and took all the projections off so it looked like a big dirty pumpkin (mine is orange, named Pigg) setting in a puddle of oil and cast parts

Took me months to get up enough energy to put it back together, repainted the name to FUGG.

The one before that was loading a machine onto the same 1Ton, this one went off the truck and over an embankment......

And the one before that....

And then there was the piano, and just before that we tipped a crane because the operator didn't know his pick rating....

Heavy stuff is scary.....

Hope that beercut heals clean :)
al

The beer cut will be fine I assure you :)

I suppose if I had to learn a serious lesson, it's best to learn it early and with no resulting injuries. I saw it was about to go, and got out of there in a s*** hot hurry. Anyone reading that hasn't moved heavy stuff, DON'T TRY AND CATCH IT!!!! A machine is not worth your health, you can drink some beer and brood for awhile until you get stubborn and decide to not let the communists win and fix what broke.

I've got a friend in Phoenix that has a machine shop, he took pity on my unfortunate day and offered to make any replacement parts he could. The day is not lost it seems.

Cheers,

Jim

Good for you Jim..... I'm not making light of your misfortune in any way, it suuuckkssssss

but hey, it is what it is, and I just betcha' Jerry can help line you up with parts....

No blood, and no injuries Al, today was a good day in that arena. I calmed down, drained a couple brews, and sat in the garage to stare at it for awhile. It looks like it's salvageable, the carriage handwheel is shattered, I'll have to have a replacement machined, as is the cross slide handwheel. The casting went all over the place, but I'll braze it up and paint it like any good welder knows to do. Nice and pretty. There are two gears for the cross slide that are just destroyed, broken teeth and bent. I'm assuming the gear attached to the carriage handwheel are done too. There's a couple of gear shops here in Houston, I'm going to get quotes to duplicate them, hoping it won't be obscene. I'm going to pull the saddle and apron when I get it upright again and check all the gears for damage, and pull the cover off the quick change and headstock to check for damage there.

Jim

Is Katy close to Houston? You really need to see Jackie Schmidt. He is in Houston and has a big machine shop and knows all about that P&W.

Edit- 30 miles according to mapquest...and I thought Texas was a big place?? call him Monday.

Last edited:
Is Katy close to Houston? You really need to see Jackie Schmidt. He is in Houston and has a big machine shop and knows all about that P&W.

Edit- 30 miles according to mapquest...and I thought Texas was a big place?? call him Monday.

I'm just inside the city limits of Houston on the west side of town, I will make sure to give him a call on Monday.

Damage assessment, Part One

Okay, so got the wrecker out here and got the lathe upright again, and far enough into the garage to close the door. Whew.

Here's the score:

1531592_634038213298299_2020251038_o.jpg
1655432_634038223298298_320868006_o.jpg
1172380_634038219964965_430169691_o.jpg
1014612_634038216631632_1900421082_o.jpg
1008234_634038209964966_1570910045_o.jpg
1538010_634038119964975_839602027_o.jpg

Continued in next post.

The casting that holds the gearing for the cross slide pretty much shattered, I'm not sure if it's going to be reasonable or possible to try and braze it back together. I'm going to pull off the cover and remove the rest of it later. The carriage handwheel (at least the part of it still attached to the carriage) still functions surprisingly, it's rough, and I suspect the gears to be a little chewed up, but that was a pleasant surprise. Not surprising, the cross slide is not budging with the gearing in the condition it is. I tapped the exposed part of the gear to relieve the pressure on it and get it out of the crater in the casting. The gear selector lever knob sheared off, and is going to have to be replaced, no question about that. Thankfully it sheared without doing any damage to the lever itself or the gearing. From what I can see, I don't think it actually bent the leadscrew or any of the guide rods. I'm probably wrong, if anyone sees something I'm missing please tell me so I can get to work finding a replacement after I get done screaming at a tree for awhile.

All told, from my limited experience with large machines, I think it's salvageable. Try that with a Grizzly folks. Actually, don't, that wouldn't be very enjoyable for anyone.

Jim

Back