ANOTHER floating reamer holder question & a prebore question

=Leerroy, I think you would really have to work at it to get a chamber that was not round. I wouldn't know how to do it. I find it is easier to lock the carriage and use it as a stop for my tailstock when chambering. The tailstock being .002 high bothers nothing, but have you checked the indication of your tailstock at different positions of its travel. Indicate it as you mentioned and then extend the ram 2" and reindicate. That will tell you if your tailstock is really ok.
Butch

Last edited:
Yep your right Butch, about the possibility of the tail stock barrel being out of alignment when extended. But with my lathe i have found it to be very accurate and if i just put a little pressure on with the barrell lock it stays within about 0.0005" all the way to full extention. I usualy set it up and dial it in at about half way of the required travel..

Your method of using the carrage as a stop for the tail stock is definatly easy and convienent, but i would worrie about swarf etc getting in between and possably creating an error. I think the dial indicator is a bit more reliable and repeatable. But each to their own. ;)

Cheers
Leeroy

I start with a clean lathe and get virtually no swarf in that area. It is like everything else, pay attention and keep it clean.
I just don't like a bunch of indicators stuck around on my lathe. I'm clumsy and may bump one and then I'm in deep do do.
No one method is perfect or we would all do it the same.
Butch

Reamer Stop

If you use the Lambeth Micrometer Reamer Stop from PTG, ou dont need any indicators on the lathe and your tailstock can be returned to any position.

Back