Another Bullet Making Thread (lots of photos & video)

I also would like to thank you for posting this series on bullet making. I have a question. The device on the calipers that looks like it measures the same as the Hornaday tool, is that one you made or does someone make and sell them?

The ogive gauge is homebuilt. The left screw allows us to swap out the caliber specific inserts.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Lee
Thank you for your time here. I have never seen a single bullet being made and I really enjoyed this. I hope your bullets shoot well. Im not the betting type, but if I were, my money would be on that they will shoot great!!! I cant wait to see your results. Well done, and congratulations!! Lee Gardner

Thanks for the kind words Lee. And you're going to get to try these first hand....Boyd signed you up to test some of these 67's :). PM me your address when you get a minute. I'm running another batch next week and will mail you a couple of hundred to try.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Shot these bullets on Saturday and was very pleased with the results. I had limited time, but tried four weights of LT-32 and four seating depths. Surprisingly, at 0.005" in off of jam they seemed charge agnostic. The upper left is in fact three shots and they went in on top of one another. Jam and jam minus 0.005" weren't that good, but 0.010" back started to show promise. Next time I'll go up on the LT and I'll expand my seating window, both in more and back more. I believe touch is between 0.015" and 0.020" from jam, though that's unconfirmed.

I did manage to lay down two five-shot strings on an official target. 27.7 grs @ jam+0.005":

And 28.3 @ jam+0.005":

The first was high 1's, the second was low 1's. Credit goes to George Ulrich for a world-class set of dies, Bart Sauter and the Hines Tactical jacket, and my dad for smithing the rifle.

For complete transparency, winds were light on Saturday. Temperature averaged 56.0 degrees and humidity ~86% (so much for LT not liking wet air). The Shilen has 1,200 rounds on it and the brass has been reloaded 24 times.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Last edited:
They sure look like they will shoot
How are you determining jam?

Tim - I just seat the bullet long, noting the length in an ogive gauge and Sinclair seating #. Then I lube the bolt lugs, cycle the round, and again measure the length to ogive. I prefer using a dummy round as opposed to removing the firing pin.

Example using my new 67 gr - I set the Sinclair seater to #20, which I know is way into the lands. That measured 2.380" to the ogive. After cycling the round the new length was 2.360", meaning the rifling shoved it back 20-thou. Thus I went down 20 to #0 on my Sinclair. That's my jam length and seater setting (I thought #0 for jam was a good omen). I haven't determined touch but it's probably 15 - 20 thou back from jam. I used to reference off touch but now use jam. It's much quicker to find.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

jam and touch are only numbers (and very subjective). the target tells you everything else you need to know. Bringing those bullets to Super Shoot?
bill

Go with the +5 jam and the 28.3 charge....and shoot 5 shots using a sighter target for when the wind ain't "just right". Set your timer for 7 minutes, ALWAYS. Try to get to your range on days the wind is blowing...the worse the better.

Your rifle shoots pretty darn good!

Most think im crazy but one thing I have found time and time again on my home range. If the wind is blowing to beat hell ill jam the bullet a bunch. when the wind is lite, ill be closer to touch. works!! Some might argue you can do the same with powder. Maybe?? Lee

Lee not really ,I find things change Day to Day
and scratch my head wondering why ! Touch something ,
watch out ! Believe what you see, sometimes ??
Wilbur and Billy call me Thick at times

Yep. Last Saturday was one session shooting these 67's. Hardly enough to draw conclusions. I need many more to see if trends develop as the wind, temperature, and humidity change. I'll keep you guys posted as I send more of these down range.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Last edited:
another bullet making thread

You have the process down pretty well with very good videos.

The only part I don't like is the chemicals you use to wash the cores and jackets.
That,s nasty stuff and harmful to your health.
if you are going to make large quantities I suggest you use other cleaners .

You have the process down pretty well with very good videos.

The only part I don't like is the chemicals you use to wash the cores and jackets.
That,s nasty stuff and harmful to your health.
if you are going to make large quantities I suggest you use other cleaners .

Don't take GerryM's post lightly. My friend Mark Luksic bought me some lacquer thinner that they were almost giving away at the nuclear plant (100 gallons for $20 I think). I used that stuff without any protection and don't know which way is up these days.

Came back to add that I'm not sure that caused my "problem" but I wish I hadn't been so careless when cleaning "bullet stuff". Truth is, I'm way too old for the stuff I've done. That was some really, really good thinner!! The grass is STILL dead at the end of the carport.

Last edited:

A few old time bullet makers found out the hard way.

I know it's a bit easier to use those solvents.

But honestly what are we trying to get off the jackets and cores?

Its just a bit of oil or grease off some type. Usually lanolin based.

Hot soapy water will work just fine along with a good hot water rinse.

try it you have nothing to loose and a lot to gain.

While I don't disagree that the chemicals are toxic, protecting yourself is pretty easy to do. I've cleaned cores with everything from Dawn and hot water, to lacquer thinner, Colman fuel, TSP, etc. A pair of heavy rubber gloves, and a well ventilated area should keep you safe.

Ok so tell me about your Dawn and hot water results.
That,s what I use
I doubt the others are as safe to use as the hot water and soap.

Back