Another Bullet Making Question

How to lube seated bullets

Al,
You are right about the amount of lube on the jackets during bullet making.
The problem is I have steel dies which require more lube than carbide. I have heard many bullet makers using about 4 grs. of lube per 1000 jackets (carbide dies) but I don’t think that will work for steel dies. Maybe core seating core could use the tumbling processes, but will it work when you point up. I am trying to find someone that use steel dies that tumble jackets to apply lube.

Mike,
The way I have been shooting this year + or - a baseball field on a bullet ogive is good enough for me.
john
Mims, Fl.

Hi Mike,

I have lubed seated bullets in the past and did so without any issues. You still need to weigh out an amount of lube and apply it. I used a plastic one gallon jar. I would spread the lube and hand tumble the jar with the seated bullets inside. I never tried to tumble the plastic jar and seated bullet combination in the tumbler as I thought the weight would be too much.

Good Luck,

David.

+1 on the glass jars. That is what we use. To keep things consistent we clean them out each time. This is harder with plastic.

Regards,
Eric

For clarity sake, I am referring to using a glass jar for the lubing of empty jackets. When we used to relube seated bullets (back in Phoenix) we used a plastic jar as David describes. We didn't want to break a glass jar full of seated bullets.

Regards,
Eric

How I lube Jackets

Hello Guys, always interesting a thread concerning bullet making: to lube cores and Jackets I've built this tumbler: the double barrels are made of plexyglass and are octagonal. Seems it works fine. I clean them every time to lube with the same amount of lube. Each barrel can lube some thousands jackets in the same time.
Alberto

Attachments

• IMG_1343.jpg
    IMG_1343.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_1344.jpg
    IMG_1344.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 382
Quite impressive.

Regards,
Eric
Thank You Eric!) And to cut the problem on the presses you talked about I've builded my own press and i'm very happy with the quality of the bullets I can get from these presses. They are becoming very popular among the European bulletmakers.
My regards
Alberto

Attachments

• IMG_0451.jpg
    IMG_0451.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 432
  • IMG_0454.jpg
    IMG_0454.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 458
  • IMG_1437.jpg
    IMG_1437.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 475
  • IMG_1438.jpg
    IMG_1438.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 438
Hello Guys, always interesting a thread concerning bullet making: to lube cores and Jackets I've built this tumbler: the double barrels are made of plexyglass and are octagonal. Seems it works fine. I clean them every time to lube with the same amount of lube. Each barrel can lube some thousands jackets in the same time.
Alberto
Alberto
Do you make the tumbler to sell?

Faq

Lots of good info in the FAQ section of this forum! Look under Bullet Making
Bryan

Back