And now for something completely different

tim

Last week while talking about what's up with guns, etc, Gordon Eck shared with me kind of an interesting new development in .22 barrels, in particular Rock Creek barrels. After finishing up the conversation I had a talk with James at Rock Creek and the 2nd prototype [ I believe] was shipped to Gordon where it met the gun I shipped to test and through the grace of God he dropped what he was doing to fit it for testing on Friday and a match on Saturday where I and others could try it out.
With all the current discussion on number,type, and depth of rifling it is probably worth a mention that this barrel does not engrave the slug, not in any traditional sense. No lands. Not polygonal, in fact you cannot really see any obvious distortion of the slug.
What we have here is a case of "what is old is new again" with a twist.....Metford rifling, 150 years old. Now as luck would have it conditions in this neck of the woods have been changable, and a barrel 48 hours old with not much chance to tune, test and pick ammo, is less than fair but this thing seems to buck the wind pretty darn good. Saturday there were verticle gremlins in switchy wind but this thing showed less than a bullet of wind drift in a moderate, switch. Today before dark in a mild-breeze it posted a 250 18X with some tuner tinkering.
James has indicated he would jump in here if anybody has any technical questions but so far it's becoming an interesting experiment and I wish we had a bit more season up here to test under actual match situations.
In any event we are lucky to have folks pushing the envelope for our mutual benefit.

Last edited:
By what I have read about Metford rifling that it did good with black powder but with the introduction of cordite powder showed severe erosion with a reduction in barrel life. It does seem to favor soft lead though.

I have heard of that type of rifling, and probably have a picture somewhere. For the moment
though, it excapes me. Can you explain this new rifling system ??

was used in the lee enfields back in 1897, until they found out that the barrels were wearing out at 4000 rounds instead of 10000 after the introduction of cordite powder

Fred, corrosive powder, corrosive mercury priming compound, barrel steels 1900 vintage quality, these are not issues currently, perhaps we can move on.

I have heard of that type of rifling, and probably have a picture somewhere. For the moment
though, it excapes me. Can you explain this new rifling system ??

Essentially, instead of lands with sharp edges, canted or not, you have slightly raised, rounded lands[for lack of a better term] producing no sharp edges on the lateral surface of the slug. Google it up and you will see a diagram or two.
Paul from Rock creek has posted a couple times and BC has thrown up a photo of a slug on Wallace's forum as well.

Cordite was (one of) the first double based powders & proved to have too high a calorific output for the Metford rifling. It proved to be entirely suitable when used with subsequent Enfield rifling for the next 5 or 6 decades. The issue was the Metford style rifling. augmented by the steel quality of that time. It was just too maintain its cross section profile as it eroded, unlike the heavier 7 groove barrels used thereafter.

Metford can't be said to have devised that style of rifling. Whitworth anticipated it with his .451 muzzleloaders in the mid 1800s, but so did many craftsment of muzzle loading rifles over a number of centuries.

Tim,I have a Metford on my turbo that is shooting very well,There is alot that I don't know, But what I do know is it will shoot longer without cleaning 100 shots with no lead checked with a bore scope ,clean easier, and buck more wind than any barrel I have tested.

Back