Analysis of Slow Motion all-of-flight videos; what can they tell us? ...with examples

H

Harry Fuller

Analysis of Slow Motion all-of-flight videos; what can they tell us?
Pellet flight and spiral stats ... some observations from SM video

Ted from Madison introduced us to the camera and bracket hardware that fits to our scopes to allow through-the- scope video. Thanks again Ted. ... However most if not all such videos being shown on the internet only show the pellet in the last stages of flight.

I have been concentrating on developing the system to allow for all-of-range-flight depiction and analysis. The results have enabled me to get insights into some, or all, of the following analyses to the degree allowed by the quality of video made with a relatively cheap camera system in daylight.

A. Firstly some of the reference points of interest for me to note in the pellet's flight are:

1. The near zero where the pellet first crosses the line of sight
2. The far zero where the pellet again crosses the line of sight - (the shooter's zero)
3. The trajectory apogee where the pellet reaches the apparent highest point in its trajectory relative to the line of sight.

B. With reference to Dave's Chairgun CGBallistica each of these can be defined in terms of:

1. The time of flight.
2. The location of the pellet in flight between muzzle and target at any instant.

C. These in turn can be related to:

1. The extent of "clean" stable flight down range; and the point where it may become unstable.
2. The onset of spiral flight, if any, and its relationship to A1,2,3 and B1,2.
3. The number of spiraled flight rotations, if present; their direction, frequency per second and per unit distance; and relationship to initial pellet spin rpm .
4. Spiral flight's onset in relation to positive and negative acceleration due to gravity (climbing and descending).
5. Precession /oscillations in the absence of spiral flight (if light and camera settings allow that degree of definition).

Here is one example of flight, shown from the rifle to 71 yards, and some analysis to follow; MV 880 fps with a pellet that became unstable down range: Best viewed full screen (click bottom right corner of video):

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...71ydrifletotargetslowmotionspiralfrom35yd.mp4

In our example we see the pellet first crosses the reticule cross hair at approx 10 yd and reaches the apogee at about 41 yards (distances derived in conjunction with Chairgun); it can then be seen in the video that spiral flight begins at around 35 yards/105 ft. Many pellets that apparently begin well and with stable flight, seem to lose it at about that range/ time of flight and we describe them as "25 or 30 yard pellets".

Approximately 5 left hand spirals from the right hand twist barrel in the last approx 36 yards of flight, can be counted in this example. Five spirals in the last 36 yards of flight equals an average of one spiral every 7+ yards ie., one every 21+ feet of forward travel.

Because the pellet takes about 0.146 seconds (Chairgun CGB) to travel the 36 yards from 35 yards to 71 yards, the rate of spiral would be approx 0.146/5 = one spiral per 0.0292 seconds. Say a rate of 34+ spirals per second, 2,040/min.

As this shot's pellet spin rate (from rifling) is approx 586 rev / sec, 34,800 rpm, (disregarding slight radial velocity decay) then the ratio of spin to spiral is approx 586:34 = 17+ pellet revolutions per each spiral.

Interesting to note that the direction of the spirals is always in oppositional rotation to the pellet's spin direction. Right twist equates with left spiral and vice versa. I have both L and R twist barrels and this always results. No, it has nothing to do with water and sink holes.

My slow motion videos do show that some pellets start spiraling right out of the barrel. The bullet-like old Sheridan .20 cal Bantam is an example which I have videoed numerous times.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v392/Kyogle/?action=view¤t=SheridanBantams25yd-1.mp4

Contrast that with this from JSB .20 cal Exacts shot from the same Sheridan rifle:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v392/Kyogle/?action=view¤t=SheridanJSB25yd-1.mp4

Further, some videos capture oscillations / precession without spiral (seemingly perhaps related to pellet centre of gravity where the forces acting upon the head are somehow counteracted by the drag at the rear), example: - Best viewed full screen:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...wMagnum25precessionwithoutspiralat51yards.mp4

The practical application of these analyses comes through correlating the above pellet flight quality/characteristics from such full flight slow motion video with:

* group size
* pellet muzzle velocity
* velocity decay rate - drag coefficient and ballistic coefficient BC (as tested for the particular rifle and pellet).
* points on the trajectory curve as they relate to positive and negative gravity to pellet trajectory vectors
* pellet head size and shape (pointed/round/hollow)
* wind direction (head/tail/lateral)
* air density/temperature/altitude.
* and interactions between the above.

To leave the reader with a positive visual impression of clean pellet flight barrel to target, and therefore an optimistic outlook, here is a barrel to target 71 yards pellet flight from a rare "pointed" pellet that does fly true - from a .22 BSA barrel even in a touch of breeze: 3 JSB .22 cal Stratons making a 1/4" / 6.3 mm group at 71 yards:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v392/Kyogle/?action=view¤t=3JSBStratonsat71yd.mp4

And three .25 cal JSB Kings to 51 yards shot from a Swedish FX Smooth Twist barrel at a particular velocity, in a light breeze, making a group of about 0.10" / 2.5 mm and showing great stability:

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v...Elite3JSBKings51ydspigsilhouetteJan2012-1.mp4

Hope there is something of interest for everyone here who read this far.
Kind regards, Harry Fuller, Yrrah Down Under.

Harry,

Your videos are excellent.

3 points that I would like you to speculate about.

1. The reticle of your scope shows a great deal of movement on firing. Do you think that any attenuation of that movement during the shot cycle can contribute to better pellet stability or is this demonstrated instability a function of pellet balance? Some have said that the pellet has left the bore by this time and, in many cases, accuracy does not appear to be affected.

2. How does pellet balance relate to barrel twist rates? The numbers seems to favor slower twist rates for barrels shooting our preferred pellets.

3. Can conditions contribute more to this pellet instability than pellet balance or twist rates? As someone who once threw things outside, I knew that some wind directions and conditions were better than others.

It seems that one question simply leads to another. Thanks.

Harry,

Considering I’m too busy at present to even look at the videos and I’m not really an air gun shooter, I still find your post to be one of the most interesting I’ve read in quite some time.
Thanks for giving me something to muse over while I’m sitting in my combine over the next couple of weeks. I needed the distraction! LOL

Landy

Harry,

Your videos are excellent.

3 points that I would like you to speculate about.

1. The reticle of your scope shows a great deal of movement on firing. Do you think that any attenuation of that movement during the shot cycle can contribute to better pellet stability or is this demonstrated instability a function of pellet balance? Some have said that the pellet has left the bore by this time and, in many cases, accuracy does not appear to be affected.

2. How does pellet balance relate to barrel twist rates? The numbers seems to favor slower twist rates for barrels shooting our preferred pellets.

3. Can conditions contribute more to this pellet instability than pellet balance or twist rates? As someone who once threw things outside, I knew that some wind directions and conditions were better than others.

It seems that one question simply leads to another. Thanks.

Thank you, a lot of time has gone into refining the video system strategy to this stage.
Responses:
1. The apparent reticule movement, that persists, is mostly due to flex in the bracket to the camera as the result of rifle recoil. I can virtually eliminate that now.
However the initial jump is due to recoil and also can be minimized with a firm hold with both hands. However as precision grouping and therefore accuracy potential is quite dependent on consistency, it can be more difficult to duplicate firm hold over an extended period than with a free recoil. In any case what you are seeing has no bearing on the reasons for spiral pellet flight IMO. ... I can and have shot alternately, pellets that don't spiral and those types that do in a long series of shots. The results are the same. The muzzle jump does not cause the spiral. Each pellet behaves according to its nature ... However I don't believe the pellets have left before the muzzle reacts to the shot's forces.

2. I'm not sure of the use of "pellet balance" in the first sentence, static, dynamic, so will only respond to the second part. ...
My preferred pellets in my rifles seem not to be much influenced by actual pellet initial spin rate (leaving the barrel) as judged by groups' sizes to ranges up to 75 and perhaps 100 yards.
Here is a target showing 50 and 100 yard groups shot one after the other with two rifles with the same pellet.
The groups are of 5 shots each at each range. The measured pellet spin rates (marked pellets shot through paper screens and rotation angles resolved to spin rates) were approx 1:75" for the FX Elite and 1:18" for the BSA Hornet. The pellets were JSB .25 cal Kings preferred by each rifle. My initial conclusion was that the predominantly drag stabilized pellet was happy enough, with these spin rate extremes, to 100 yards. Not sure this will hold up for "less preferred pellets".

The groups' size data is in the targets in this post:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/7953...1B+Hornet+-25+at+50+&+100+yards+Test+#+1-

3. Good question. My present understanding is that variously: pellets have a limiting criterion, or tolerance limit, for reaction to external forces (air density changes, wind force and direction, and gravity to trajectory vector).
A little push, pressure change, bump or fight between gyroscopic stability and gravity may trigger spiraling in one pellet whereas another will tolerate the same forces at the same instantaneous velocity or point in trajectory. I think that concept probably comes through in my discourse.
Thanks for taking the time to thoughtfully respond .... Best regards, Harry.

Harry,

Considering I’m too busy at present to even look at the videos and I’m not really an air gun shooter, I still find your post to be one of the most interesting I’ve read in quite some time.
Thanks for giving me something to muse over while I’m sitting in my combine over the next couple of weeks. I needed the distraction! LOL

Landy

Landy, as one who did spend some time in wheat fields many years ago (without a laptop!) I recognize the symptoms :-( . Glad you found it of interest and please check out the videos when situation permits.
Hope its a good season. Ours here in OZ is shaping up to be a good one ........... Kind regards, Harry.

Harry,

My use of "pellet balance" is a generalized term and relates to your reference to pellet head shape and size and possibly skirt size. Thank you for your opinions to my questions.

Your results showing the same pellet, from 2 different barrels, with vastly different twist rates, and in both cases, flight characteristics good enough for an excellent group. Could be that with some pellets, twist rate may not be a critical factor. Those JSB pellets seem to be the right combination of head/skirt shape and size.

Now, for the big question. How can we make this new knowledge relevant to our shooting at 25 meters, one bull at a time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry, excelent .... and great videos.

I use to shoot Archery and from spending many hours bow tuning (paper tuning) recal how sensitive arrow flight etc could be to hold etc. This and your video's / comments got me thinking. Those barrel / pellet combination you filmed that did the spiraling,

1. What would the effect be if you were to shorten the barrel, if any.
2. Do you see the same result if you change the speed (slower or faster)

BR
Albert

Last edited by a moderator:
Harry, excelent .... and great videos.

I use to shoot Archery and from spending many hours bow tuning (paper tuning) recal how sensitive arrow flight etc could be to hold etc. This and your video's / comments got me thinking. Those barrel / pellet combination you filmed that did the spiraling,

1. What would the effect be if you were to shorten the barrel, if any.
2. Do you see the same result if you change the speed (slower or faster)

BR
Albert

1. Not sure about shortening the barrel other than that it would reduce velocity a little per inch of length. This may relate to Question 2. I have never shortened a barrel.
2. Depending on the test MV, lowering velocity (or raising it with some pellets) can affect flight stability. This is especially so if the initial velocity is too high. I, and many others, have seen spiral flight disappear with even a small reduction in velocity.
BR, Harry.

Harry,

My use of "pellet balance" is a generalized term and relates to your reference to pellet head shape and size and possibly skirt size. Thank you for your opinions to my questions.

Your results showing the same pellet, from 2 different barrels, with vastly different twist rates, and in both cases, flight characteristics good enough for an excellent group. Could be that with some pellets, twist rate may not be a critical factor. Those JSB pellets seem to be the right combination of head/skirt shape and size.

Now, for the big question. How can we make this new knowledge relevant to our shooting at 25 meters, one bull at a time?

Can we leave that question for another post down the track. I am working through with a new rifle presently and have sequenced a strategy. I would rather report on it in respect of actual results, when it has been worked through, and if it seems to be helpful. .... Kind regards, Harry.

Harry,

Of course we can.

I am working with 2 new barrels and 1 may turn out to be better than my 2 groove Benchmark.

1. Not sure about shortening the barrel other than that it would reduce velocity a little per inch of length. This may relate to Question 2. I have never shortened a barrel.

Harry, my thinking was more along the lines of altering the barrel movement during the fireing cycle. Shorter = stiffer barrel.

Harry, my thinking was more along the lines of altering the barrel movement during the fireing cycle. Shorter = stiffer barrel.

I think most believe stiffer is better in a barrel. PB shooters do; some here are using barrels getting up towards an inch OD. Some are using 24" barrels. I think Larry Durham uses even longer on his USFT. Olympic 10m rifles generally have quite short barrels for offhand work, perhaps to shorten the time for the pellet to leave. My new TM 1000 has a sleeve over the barrel presumably to stiffen it. My FX Excalibre has a slender barrel of 12 mm and it has I think shot more sub inch 100 yards groups than any other single rifle. Its barrel is fixed to the air reservoir at the muzzle which many would think invites vibration from the air tube as well as barrel. ...

But I really cannot say that any of these affect pellet spiral behaviour all else being equal. I like to stick to what my research demonstrates and I have no data to offer on short barrels. Mine range from about 18.5 to 24 inches. ...

There are many great shooters here who might have an opinion.
Kind regards, Harry.

Interesting to note that the direction of the spirals is always in oppositional rotation to the pellet's spin direction. Right twist equates with left spiral and vice versa. I have both L and R twist barrels and this always results. No, it has nothing to do with water and sink holes.

I think this is a function of drag. A gyro with a clockwise spin will tend to precession clockwise while being supported, like on a floor.
However, if it is suspended, it will precess counterclockwise. Try it. Just my opinion.

Very interesting post

Harry,

OK, now you got my attention. Decided to shoot a tin or so 18gr in the 5.5mm. Usually I would be using 15.9gr so the 18gr is doing about 810 ft/sec. Shooting at 100m today at x10 mag on the scope, I noticed the spiraling. There was some wind so initially I thought it was wind drift but after a couple it is clearly spiraling when I starting looking for it.

Seems to start at about 60-70m and make about3/4 spiral before hitting the target at 100m. That is all +/- as it what I guess looking through the scope.

I will probably shoot 15.9gr again in future but this is interesting ...........

Now the question is ...... how do one get rid of this ?

Increase / dcrease the speed ?

Back